Is this a suitable mount for Zhumell 20x80s

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 amw.china

amw.china

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:26 AM

Hi guys, I'm just starting astronomy. I bought some Gerber 8x40s a while back and now I'm hooked. I've just purchased the Zhumell 20x80s from telescopes.com which weigh 4.4 pounts and I'm wondering whether this would be a suitable mount for it.

http://www.trademe.c...px?id=211344759

It has a max loading capacity of 4kg which is about 9 pounds. Enough margin?

#2 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:06 AM

Hi-
And welcome to Cloudy Nights! A better place to research your question would be in the Binocular forum. This very question has been fielded many different times in many different ways! You can find a lot of discussion of mounting binoculars in the "Best Of" thread here.
What concerns me about this ad, is nowhere do they specify a brand name. Which leads me to believe me it is a flea market quality tripod. It (the ad) is filled descriptives making it sound like a professional, high grade quality tripod, but basically meaningless terms, if you take it in context of a flea market product. You are usually best sticking to proven name brands... a couple of sayings apply here, I think- "You get what you pay for"... or- "A sucker is born every minute". Inevitably, when people opt for cheap, no name purchases, then end up buying twice... or 3 times, before they finally end up what they should have bought in the first place. Oh, yes... another- "Quality is remembered long after the price paid is forgotten".
Good luck, and again- welcome!

#3 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:12 AM

Yep, binocular forum, and Edz is the man to ask. But from what I see, yes, it should work with the Zhumells at the least okay. But Edz is the man to ask.

#4 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:09 PM

The tripod you linked to would be marginal for big binoculars; the extended height is only 63.5" which will be way too short for viewing while standing. The weight capacity could be a little shaky as well. Also, the included head is a 3-way that has no clutch action; a 2 way viscous "video" head is preferred for this purpose.

In the Binoculars forum where this is a common subject, a taller and sturdier tripod would be recommended.

The Bogen/Manfrotto 055 tripod is 70" tall; put a 128RC head on it and it will be a foot taller than the tripod you suggest. This tripod is rated at 15# and is of known high quality. The 128RC head is rated at 9#. $220. package deal here:

http://www.opticspla...1bn-tripod.html

Don't forget to get a sturdy L bracket to mount the bins to the head!

Rich V

#5 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

• Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

The tripod you linked to would be marginal for big binoculars; the extended height is only 63.5" which will be way too short for viewing while standing. The weight capacity could be a little shaky as well. Also, the included head is a 3-way that has no clutch action; a 2 way viscous "video" head is preferred for this purpose.

I agree.

The package deal referenced above 055XDB/128RC is a very good choice. I use that combo (the old and often recommended 3130 head on a 3011 tripod). Oberwerk is selling the same package for $199. Of course shipping could be a consideration.

Also for that light weight binocular you could get away with something like the Orion HD-F2. It's pretty tall, won't carry as heavy a load as the bogen mentioned here, but only cost half as much. Can't get Orion shipped to you?? Look for Davis and Sanford F12 fluid head on their tripod. The Orion head is the D&S F12.

edz

edz

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics