Photo

Should I be concerned with factory applied grease?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JimWaterford

JimWaterford

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Waterford, MI

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

Should I be able to sleep at night knowing my Mini Tower has inferior (Chinese) grease? If not, is it difficult to disassemble, clean off the old grease and regrease the bearings. Proper reassembly is another concern. Thank you and Regards, Sleepless in Michigan

#2 dpastern

dpastern

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

I'm thinking the same thing about my SkyWatcher EQ6PRO mount...

Dave

#3 John Carruthers

John Carruthers

Skiprat

• Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:18 AM

I'd check which grease you have first, the newer mounts use a much better white grease. I cleaned a mate's 12 month old eq6pro using ultrasound and there was very little detritus left in the dish.

#4 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

I just purchased an Ioptron Mini Tower and did quite a lot of research before I purchased. I learned that Ioptron is a company that truly LEARNS FAST! The Mini Tower has been on the market since its introduction only 9 months ago. During that time, the company has listened to it's customers well and has instituted many changes, one of which is the quality of lub used in the mount. I am fairly sure of this, but to be absolutely sure, call or write to Steve Forbes at Trapezium Telescope to get a conclusive answer to your questions. Steve will happily answer all your questions promptly.

#5 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

I recently rebuilt an HEQ5 thats about 1 year old. There were no signs of the Synta 'Black Goop' thats supposed to be in these mounts BUT there was a fair amount of other drek in there including bits of swarf from the manufacturing and nasty flakes of black paint inside.

I cleaned mine out with good old washing up liquid and lots of hot water.

Someone told me recently that the new mounts have gotten over this problems but I know someone with a newish HEQ5 pro who reported his showed some strange behaviour which suggested there may be swarf or debris left in the mount.

I think if you get a mount that has the capabilities of the HEQ5/EQ6 at the price you are paying you kind of have to expect this kind of thing. A quick strip down, clean and regrease isn't that hard. I put off doing mine for ages cos I was worried about how tough it maye be. It want actually too tough at all and the mount runs much better now.

#6 Denimsky

Denimsky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: BC, Canada

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

This is the biggest mystery in the telescope industry for me.
What do they use the cheap grease?
I don't think that you save a lot of money using the cheap grease. I'm willing to pay $5 more for a mount using best grease.

It is like some automobile makers used $5 cheaper components to save money but possibly cost lives of people old days.

#7 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:17 PM

Jim:

Even from the beginning the Mini Tower did not have the horrible Black Goo for a lubricant. Recently, iOptron has taken to using a synthetic lubricant. It's not Super-Lube, but, it's a step in the right direction. Regardless, there is no need for you to remain sleepless worrying over it. Your MT will do just fine.

As Al has kindly mentioned, if you have any questions or concerns you are most welcome to contact me directly. I will be happy to be of assistance.

CS

Steve

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics