• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jake47

jake47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

I'm not happy with the dovetail on my ASGT mount. I don't like the way it uses a single brute force screw to hold the plate. I would prefer one that actually mates to the dovetail plate on both sides and grips it with the whole dovetail. Is that called a sliding dovetail?

Is there a way to change the dovetail and what products are available?

Thank you.

#2 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

I don't like it either, but to the best of my knowledge, I don't believe there is a replacement. If someone comes up with one, I'll check here later.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:18 AM

I'm not happy with the dovetail on my ASGT mount. I don't like the way it uses a single brute force screw to hold the plate. I would prefer one that actually mates to the dovetail plate on both sides and grips it with the whole dovetail. Is that called a sliding dovetail?

Is there a way to change the dovetail and what products are available?

Thank you.

Be careful what you wish for. Nothin' is a bigger pain in the patootie than a dovetail that slides in from the end. Assuming you don't way overload it, the CG5's Vixen dovetail system is more than secure enough (always crank down the safety screw). AFAIK, as has already been mentioned, there is no replacement.

#4 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

The cheap little SLT mount I use for my solar scope has a dovetail clamp.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics