Photo

Upgrading the Sphinx tripod

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

I'm considering using some refund $$$ to buy a more heavy-duty tripod for my Sphinx. The only ones I'm aware of are those ash beauties made by Berlebach, which are mighty pricey, but many of which can be used with the Sphinx.

A few questions: am I likely to notice am improvement in stability if I switch to something like a Berlebach ash tripod?

Second: are there any other heavy-duty wood tripods out there I should consider?

And three, where does one get the proper hub/adapter to allow the Sphinx mount to attach to the tripod?

:question:

#2 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

The hal 130 tripod that Vixen makes is quite good.Do not under estimate it being aluminum.Getting a wood tripod IMHO would be only a cosmetic thing,

#3 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

My understanding of the HAL 130 is that it's longer than the 110 but not much sturdier, except for the fact that I wouldn't have to extend the legs as much. Thanks for your response.

#4 NHRob

NHRob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

Try adding/building a wooden spreader which can be tightened up from underneath. This will firm up the tripod legs and add some damping to kill vibrations.

Rob

#5 Per Stymne

Per Stymne

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

And three, where does one get the proper hub/adapter to allow the Sphinx mount to attach to the tripod?
:question:

You don't need a Sphinx adapter for a Berlebach tripod. The Berlebachs can be ordered with a top plate tailored for a Sphinx.

http://www.berlebach...sprache=english

#6 payner

payner

Viking 1

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

Another option is the Vixen pillar for the Sphinx SXD. These sell for $700 new and are available from most dealers, but about a one month wait for the boat from Japan to get it here.

Randy

#7 maknewtnut

maknewtnut

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:17 AM

I'm working with Berlebach right now to bring about an adapter for Vixen SX mounts(and others later) to use on flat platform models such as UNI 4, 14, and 24. Something like their Losmandy adapter, but for SX. This allows mutliple uses for the tripod. Other than UNI 4 series with a Losmandy adapter, I get more requests for Berlebach tripods to support SX series mounts than any other.

I proposed the idea months ago, but I don't think they found it worth their while and/or it's importance(IMO)was lost in translation. Demand persists. If they don't offer more adapters, or perhaps even interchangeable platforms, I'll work up a line of my own.

#8 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

Hi, Mark.

From your website, I was under the impression that some of the Berlebach tripods did have a top plate for the SX mount. No?

#9 maknewtnut

maknewtnut

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:39 PM

Yes, they do. For example, the UNI 8 series. What I'm referring to is being able to use interchangeable adapters on tripods with flat platoforms, such as the UNI 4 series.

The impetus is that customer feedback indicates folks stating they want to keep the tripod. This differs from most cases where tripods come and go as mounts change. Provisions to use either interchangeable adapters or even interchangeable plaforms makes this possible.

#10 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

From the web specs, that UNI-8 looks like a great match for the SXW.

Ron

#11 Per Stymne

Per Stymne

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

Right, the Uni-8 is a perfect match for the Sphinx.

I use the Uni-8 + the Sphinx half pillar for my Sphinx SXW mount. Thanks to the half pillar, there is always sufficient clearance between the OTA (Intes Micro MN66) and the tripod legs even when observing objects in zenith.

And it feels as stable as a rock.

#12 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for letting me know. I'm definitely thinking about it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics