• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 richsvt

richsvt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Shore of Boston

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

Has anyone changed the Vixen Porta or AT Voyager heads with a standard Orion Paragon tripod legs. Just curious. I love the Paragon as a quick G&G and from what I've heard is that the standard legs that come with either are too short. Just looking into the possibilities.

#2 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

No, but I replaced the flimsy aluminum legs on my Portamount with wooden ones from Hands On Optics and I couldn't be happier with the improvement they made in stability. And the wooden legs didn't add that much more weight to the mount. I can easily lift it (minus a scope) with one hand.

Attached Files

#3 richsvt

richsvt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Shore of Boston

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

Very nice- I like

#4 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

The wooden legs come with a nice metal accessory tray which is a huge improvement over that tiny circular plastic tray that's stock with the Portamount.

And it takes very little time to do the actual replacement. Just loosen the bolts at the top where the stock legs attach and then attach the wooden ones using the bolts that come with them. The wooden legs increase the height of the mount by a couple of inches. The lock-off bolts on the lower legs work well. Once tightened, they never seem to come loose.

I also replaced the stock slide-on slow motion handles with short flex cable knobs that came with my CG4 EQ mount. They have set screws so once tighten they don't slide off as the stock ones tend to do. I see the new version of the Porta will have similar knobs with set screws at the end of their shaft.

#5 pferendzo

pferendzo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: St Louis

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

Put mine on a surveyors tripod...

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics