Photo

Aristoteles and Mitchell

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

I've been meaning to submit this sketch of Aristoteles and Mitchell for a while, but I wanted to wait until I was settled in my new house in Jacumba, nestled the high desert of San Diego County. It was done on March 2, 2009. The study sketch and tonal notes were rendered between 7:30 pm and 8:30 pm PST. The final sketch, consisting of applications of various densities of dots created by Koh-i-noor Rapidograph pens, #1, 2, 3 and 4, took a few hours to complete. The upside of this time spent was that I was able to do this inside with warmth, good lighting and frequent sips from my mug of hot chocolate.

Aristoteles is an Eratosthenian aged (3.1 billion to 1.1 billion years old) crater located in the Northeast Quadrant of the Moon. At 53 km, it is very close to the size of it's younger brother Copernicus at 56 km, however, it lacks an extensive set of rays, a discriminating factor for younger Copernician (1.1 billion years to present) aged craters. The glacis around Aristoteles is arrayed with radial lineations of ejecta. These extend into the surrounding terrain for over a hundred kilometers from the craters center. On the southwest flank there appeared to be areas where melt had pooled. Little 31 kilometer Mitchell on Aristoteles' eastern slope is the older of the two, an Imbrium aged crater (between 3.65 and 3.2 billion years old). It seemed surprising to me that it had survived the Aristoteles impact.

Sketch data

Telescope: 12" Meade f/10
Binoviewer: W.O. Binoviewer w/1.6X nosepiece
Eyepieces: 20 mm W.O. Super Plossls
Magnification: 244X
Time: 7:30pm to 8:30pm PST
Antoniadi: 2-3
Weather: clear

Attached Files

#2 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

Very nice sketch. You've really given the craters some dramatic depth, that I find quite wonderful.

I just found out that Mitchell is the first female US astronomer to have a crater named after her.

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

Hello Rich,

How nice to have you back sketching the old moon. This is a wonderful sketch and it is really impressive that you can create all the different tones and shades with a careful distribution of dark dots of different sizes. Move over George Seurat and make room for the kraterkid. :bow: :rainbow: :waytogo:

Frank :)

#4 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:52 PM

Thanks so much Jim and Frank,

Jim, thanks for the info on Mitchell, that's very cool.

Frank, I find these stippling sketches fun to make, though time consuming. I've just got to remember to keep my sketch size smaller, six hours on a sketch is a lot of dots! ;)

It's great to be back sketching after all the moving around I've been doing.

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:28 AM

Rich,

We are all very happy to have your outstanding lunar observations posted on the forum once again. Your fine lunar renderings and informative reports have always been appreciated. I am happy to hear that you have settled down in the high desert of San Diego County (hopefully far away from those nasty fires). I hope that you enjoy many wonderful observations from your new home in the future.

Your observation of Aristoteles and Mitchell is excellent. Your observation displays excellent depth and shadow. The steppes of Aristoteles are well rendered as well.

I look forward to your future observations. Welcome back friend!

Carlos

#6 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

Rich

Very nice rendering :bow: :bow: :bow: It was seeing your sketches here accidentally last summer that inspired me to take a closer look at the moon and to begin sketching it in its entirety. I recommend the Astronomy Sketching book to everyone.

I like your approach of the stippling effect. It opens up some new ideas for my future sketch work.

Thanks for posting and welcome back,

Mark

#7 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

Hey, Rich!! You're back in business. This is great news. :jump:

Your sketch comes like a surprise to me: a different aproach on the moon.
Amazing how you create the different tones with simple dots. Excellent work, Rich!

How good are your skies now, high in the desert?

#8 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

Carlos, Mark and Rony, thank you for your kind words and warm welcome back.

Carlos, your sketching and observation reports have always been an endless spring of inspiration for me, thank you my friend!

Mark, the first time I saw your lunar sketchwork I was stunned by your talent, outstanding in every way! Thanks so much.

Hey Rony, thanks, this technique requires time and patience but the end result can be visually exciting. The skies are almost always clear in Jacumba, I'd say the transparency averages 8-10 on most nights. Seeing may be a another story, I just don't have enough experience here yet.

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

The stippling technique is a very useful one as exhibited by Rich, Frank, and other observers on the forum (and around the world). I instantly think of the famous British selenographer Harold Hill who used this technique so impressively. I have provided a few links below which show the technique well.

Links;
http://www.britastro...116-4update.pdf (Biography of Harold Hill)
http://www.mikeoates.../members/domes/ (Excellent article on lunar domes containing stippled observationsby Nigel Longshaw)
http://www.mikeoates...as/cn/timoleon/ (Excellent article on lunar observation by Nigel Longshaw)

Carlos

#10 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:33 PM

Thanks Carlos! Wonderful links regarding these two Master sketchers.

#11 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

very interesting sketch,thanks for posting.

#12 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:47 PM

Thanks Tommy!

#13 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Gosh Rich fancy meeting you here again on the day I decide to post something , how neat :-)

Love the dots , am experimenting in dots myself , great to see your work again. Very interesting approach.

Dee

#14 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Thanks Dee! So good to be around when you're online as well. One of the things I find so delightful about your sketchwork is the exciting experiments you undertake. They are a constant source of inspiration for all of us here.

#15 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

Your welcome Rich ,it would be nice to have the old gang back for a bit of a session , guess everyone is busy on other projects :-) To clear skies and many moons.

Dee

#16 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

Very nice, Rich. Good to see your post...it says you are around!! ...and the sketch sure is nice. Roland

#17 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

Thanks Roland! It's really good to have some time to share observations with everyone. Too much moving around this past 8 months.

#18 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

It's wonderful seeing you back here, my friend! Fantastic lunar drawing.

#19 SallyR

SallyR

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

It's grand to see 'the hand of Handy' back at work! Superb sketch Rich, and a very interesting and pain-staking technique - I admire your patience and dedication.

It's wonderful to hear that you have settled into your new home and are getting back into sketching again - here's wishing you clear and steady skies :)

#20 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

Erika and Sally, :flower:

Thank you both for the kind words and the very warm welcome back. I'm so impressed and excited by the quality of sketches that are being posted by all the folks here. It's great to see the popularity of sketching among the amateur astronomy community. But it is even more exciting to be part of that community of sketchers here at CN.

#21 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:47 AM

Dear Rich,
your sketchin technique is very intersting. Great sketch!

#22 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:47 AM

Dear Rich,
your sketching technique is very intersting. Great sketch!

#23 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

Thanks so much Uwe!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics