CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adventures in mount land

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 jcrew

jcrew

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

Well last night APRIL 9th was my first night out with my new Sirius mount. I am a complete noob when it comes to a GEM but I felt confident since I had my trusty owners manual.

Earlier that day I aligned the polar finder scope...all good. I get set-up outside to try and do a polar and 2 star alignment and all is well.So I do my polar alignment deal and choose a star to align to and begin slewing...nothing, zip, nada! I'm looking at the star with my eyes but my scope is NOT. It is a good bit off.

Anyway, to make a long story short...I set the doggone date wrong!!! It was APRIL 9th not the 10th!!! :bawling: I thought it was the 10th. :confused:

However, I did have a victory today of sorts. I managed to get my laptop and Cartes du Ciel running the scope. :jump: :jump:

Even better, I managed to do a "Remote Desktop" from my computer inside to the computer outside to control the mount. This might come in handy on chilly nights of imaging.

So, I just wanted to share my "Adventures in mount land". I felt like a fool after I tore everything down and realized that I had enetered the wrong date.

I am also curious to know if anyone else uses the "Remote Desktop" feature to link up with their laptop? :question:

Clear nights,
Brad :grin:

#2 EricJD

EricJD

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

Grats! Here's to further success!

And yes, I actually use my Mac to remote desktop to my windows laptop.

#3 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

Very cool!! I'm sure there are a lot of folks that have done the same thing with the date or the time... location... I know I've done them all!!

I just finished configuring VNC to remote to my laptop, and hopefully will have tested it before next time I set up. I noticed that Starry Nights will probably have to be replaced with something a bit less overhead hungry, so maybe I'll give Cartes duCiel a shot...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics