• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jcrew

jcrew

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mechanicsville, VA.

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

Well last night APRIL 9th was my first night out with my new Sirius mount. I am a complete noob when it comes to a GEM but I felt confident since I had my trusty owners manual.

Earlier that day I aligned the polar finder scope...all good. I get set-up outside to try and do a polar and 2 star alignment and all is well.So I do my polar alignment deal and choose a star to align to and begin slewing...nothing, zip, nada! I'm looking at the star with my eyes but my scope is NOT. It is a good bit off.

Anyway, to make a long story short...I set the doggone date wrong!!! It was APRIL 9th not the 10th!!! :bawling: I thought it was the 10th. :confused:

However, I did have a victory today of sorts. I managed to get my laptop and Cartes du Ciel running the scope. :jump: :jump:

Even better, I managed to do a "Remote Desktop" from my computer inside to the computer outside to control the mount. This might come in handy on chilly nights of imaging.

So, I just wanted to share my "Adventures in mount land". I felt like a fool after I tore everything down and realized that I had enetered the wrong date.

I am also curious to know if anyone else uses the "Remote Desktop" feature to link up with their laptop? :question:

Clear nights,
Brad :grin:

#2 EricJD

EricJD

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Chesapeake VA

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

Grats! Here's to further success!

And yes, I actually use my Mac to remote desktop to my windows laptop.

#3 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

Very cool!! I'm sure there are a lot of folks that have done the same thing with the date or the time... location... I know I've done them all!!

I just finished configuring VNC to remote to my laptop, and hopefully will have tested it before next time I set up. I noticed that Starry Nights will probably have to be replaced with something a bit less overhead hungry, so maybe I'll give Cartes duCiel a shot...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics