• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

i have a cg-5 on a home built pier tripod with wheels where i can roll it out off the patio to observe. my question concerns the counter weights. would it damage the mount to leave the weights on the mount shaft and not having the scope attached to it. thanks, don

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

I can't say yes or no for sure, but I wouldn't do it. It seems to me that it would be placing undo stress on something due to the lack of a counter on the other end.

David

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

I'm not sure it's a big deal, I mean folks who have permanent observatories leave scopes and counterweights attached all the time. Having said that if I'm leaving my mounts alone for a while (weeks/months) then I do remove the counterweights ... I find it easier to move and store the mounts without the counterweights. One thing I do usually do regardless of the amount of time the mount is sitting idle is to loosen the clutches. Bumping the mount when the clutches are tight can promote premature wear on the clutch components.

#4 dddhgg

dddhgg

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

I do this all the time, and it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. That's just my experience however and I don't know absolutely for sure.

#5 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

It wouldn't hurt to slide the weight or weights all the way up, at least. That's what I do, makes the thing easier to carry around and when stored with the legs partly folded makes it less likely to get knocked over. Also reduces leverage forces on the bearings a bit.

Mike

#6 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

I had never even considered this aspect (my bad...). I always just disconnect everything, take the scope inside, then release and spin the spreader and haul the mount inside. Once inside the garage I would wrap a bungee around the legs and set the mount off in the corner. Never seemed to hurt anything, but it seems it could cause undue stress on gears and such now that I think about it. :doah:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics