Orion SVP with Intelliscope Option

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PAW

PAW

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:29 PM

About a year ago I bought an Orion SVP mount with the Intelliscope option - which Orion has since discontinued (for the SVP).

To this day, I still don't have the Intelliscope working, and I guess that is part of the reason it was discontinued.

Apparently it does work and well, once you get it setup which is non trivial based on my experience and after speaking with Orion they agreed.

Solution: Buy the GoTo kit which goes for about $400-500.

I'm glad that option is available, but the Intelliscope for the SVP is much more difficult to setup versus the dobs.

#2 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:01 AM

The kit works fine. Possible reasons for being discontinued would be that they didn't sell enough of them to be worthwhile and also that they were being bought to add COL to non-Orion Dobs.

I got mine at the $80 closeout price, which, as far as this sort of thing goes, was quite a bargain.

Nice thing about it is you are free to use slo-mo controls or unlock the clamps anytime as desired without undoing the alignment. And of course there's no slewing noise or waiting.

I also have the GoTo option for mine (bought that first) and still use it for slo-mo but seldom for GoTo due to the noise and impatience with the slow slewing.

Were you asking for help?

Mike

#3 Fortune07

Fortune07

Vostok 1

• Loc: Adirondack Mountains, Upstate NY, Lake George Area

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

I had a similar experience, bought the SVP w/intelliscope option, installed it never really got it to work right, removed it because the polar alignment scope will not fit with the intelliscope installed. Since then I sold the mount, but I still have the intelliscope kit.

#4 PAW

PAW

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

I wanted to post this thread for others who might be picking one of these mounts up. The dob version (intelliscope) is easy to configure, so some might assume the SVP version is as well.

The tech was telling me that I would have to remove the intelliscope encoders if I did install the GoTo.

I was wondering if others had gone down this path as well?

#5 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:29 AM

telling me that I would have to remove the intelliscope encoders if I did install the GoTo.

That's not true, both systems can be installed at the same time. Mine is set up that way.

Anything they would have told you about it being hard to set up is suspect as well.

As noted before, the Intelliscope RA encoder blocks usage of a polar scope, but since both systems are able to compensate for inaccurate polar alignment that isn't a serious inconvenience unless you are doing photography.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics