CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alignment Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 jcrew

jcrew

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

I am curious to hear if anyone uses any type of tripod markers or something that helps them set their tripod up to have it pointing north? I know some have piers but I am curious as to whether or not this is done with a tripod? Pictures would be great as well!

Clear nights,
Brad :grin:

#2 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

I set up out on my back lawn.

I've installed and leveled three 12" round stepping stones in the grass where the tripod legs go. If I set my tripod up so that each leg is centered on its stepping stone, then it's in the right place.

It works great.

-Wade

#3 fetoma

fetoma

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

I've heard of people putting vegetable or soup cans in the ground to put the tripod legs on. You can cut the grass with them installed too!!! ;)

#4 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:21 AM

I observe from my deck and have used a black magic marker to outline the position of the three tripod legs on my CGE. Works great and is always very close when making the polar alignment.

John

#5 bebert

bebert

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

I set up in my driveway so I marked my spot with spray paint - three small marks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics