Photo

NexRemote (for CGE/CG5/CGEM etc) has been updated

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:12 PM

For anyone interested, Celestron has posted the latest update to NexRemote on their Website. This version contains the 4.16 firmware available during the "Select Settings" step. I had already updated the firmware in the scope to 4.16 and could not possibly be happier with its performance this past Saturday night. A week or so ago, I emailed Celestron tech-support asking when 4.16 would be available in NexRemote and was told to "keep checking our Website" which I dutifully did. Interestingly, the version number hasn't changed from the prior downloadable - still V1.6.25 as before. I downloaded it anyway and discovered a date of 4/15/09 on the installation executable. Anyhow, it's in and running on my Windows XP PCs, but I haven't tried it yet on my Vista laptop. Version 4.16 shows up in the selectable drop-down window when NexRemote starts. Wireless Rumblepad 2, here we come!

#2 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

I may have to try out one of those Rumblepads myself. Uncle Rod highly recommends them, but I've been hesitant... :thinking:

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

Oh Gary ... give it a go, you'll have a blast.

I don't have one myself but I've used a Rumblepad on a NS925 and it worked out very well. It makes it very easy to just slew around looking at things. I found this capability really proved itself when I was just cruising through the the Milky Way from Cygnus down to Sagittarius with a wide field scope that was piggybacked on the NS925, then when something interesting popped up you could switch to the larger scope. Yeah you can do it with just the HC but the Rumblepad just seems more intuitive, especially when you're at it for a while.

#4 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:52 PM

OK troublemakers... I ordered one. Now I guess I should start a post to have some tips and tricks up my sleeve before it shows up...

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:33 PM

:grin:

#6 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:51 PM

:grin:

Hey, Mark - we got another one! Seriously, Gary, you're gonna love your new CGE. Any difficulties you have will be happily answered here on CN. Honestly, I love mine. But do yourself a favor, please. As soon as you open the box, throw the supplied cables back in the box and use the VPI Cables - two 2ft (one for RA, one for DEC) is what I use. If I were you, I'd order them now, before you're tempted to use the stock cables. Heck, they're only $3.20 each plus shipping. Also, join the CGE Yahoo! group - lots of information available there, too.

#7 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:58 PM

Hey, Mark - we got another one! Seriously, Gary, you're gonna love your new CGE.

Duh! I just realized you meant you ordered a wireless rumblepad, not a CGE. Sorry for the confusion. I just noticed that you list a new CGEM in your sig. I really oughta read more carefully. Well, you're gonna love the Rumblepad. Practice in the house until your fingers know how to do what you want - just like practicing the piano. :grin:

#8 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:23 PM

WAAHHH WAHHHH :bawling: If you only knew how much I wanted the CGEM to be a CGE..... WAHHHH WAHHHH.... ;)

#9 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:50 AM

Dave, it wasn't nice to tease Gary like that ... :shameonyou:

:rofl2:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics