• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

Hello Everyone,

Been too busy to even drop in here lately but I hope all are well. I got the chance to make this quick field sketch that I posted over in the Solar forum. I used a China White Derwent watercolor pencil on black Strathmore paper.

Regards to all,

#2 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

Hi there Michael

Very strong sketch there, would you mind explaining the Wilson Scale and also how you estimated the " Earths distance" the proms were reaching from the solar disc.

Thank you

Dee

#3 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:50 PM

Dee --

The Mt. Wilson solar seeing scale can be found at the bottom of this page: http://www.astro.ucl...s/150_draw.html .

Can't help on the earth part, although this thread shows the relative size of the sun and earth: http://www.cloudynig...?Number=3034781 .

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

#4 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

Michael,

A superb sketch sequence! It's a delight seeing these changes taking place over the course of just 15-20 minutes.

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

Thanks, folks--glad you liked the sketch--it was fun getting out and putting pencil to paper after so long.

Dee, I made my size estimate by using previous experience and comparing my view to this SOHO MDI image. A little crude but it's just an estimate. The main thing to understand is that the Sun is huge (and we are not).

Thanks to Jeff for providing the link to the Wilson seeing scale. I was introduced to it by senior solar observer Ralph Marantino.

I visited Mt Wilson in 2005--quite a thrill. :cool: This is the 150 foot solar telescope.

Attached Files

#6 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:28 AM

Great sketch, i recently purchased a solar filter for my 6" achro, but it only shows white light so no prominences, no sunspots either just a blank solar disk.I hope we don't have to wait seventy years for sunspots to return like they did during the little ice age, anyway thanks for posting.

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:00 PM

Great sketch, i recently purchased a solar filter for my 6" achro, but it only shows white light so no prominences, no sunspots either just a blank solar disk.

Thanks, T5--I was happy to get the chance to do a little bit of astronomy. You should get some good white light views with your 6 incher (when there's something to view). :)

I hope we don't have to wait seventy years for sunspots to return like they did during the little ice age, anyway thanks for posting.

Anything can happen--the good news is you'll be able to go ice skating on Lake Michigan. :grin:

I read on Spaceweather today that we've gone 22 consecutive days without sunspots, but the record is 90 days (set in 1913).

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

Michael,

The solar sketches are very nice. :cool: :rainbow:
I was out to Mt. Wilson a couple of years before you were there. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera. That is a nice shot you posted.

Frank :)

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

Michael,

Excellent solar sketches of prominences. I am glad that you were able to view the Sun and make your observation. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

The visit to Mt. Wilson must have been fun. There is a lot of history at that observatory.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics