Water proof - Water resistant mounts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rathbaster

rathbaster

Viking 1

• Loc: East Bridgewater, MA

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

Are there any such GEM mounts available?
So far I have found nothing about water resistant mounts with GOTO capability. (I am dubious about the possibility of actually finding such a thing)

If I can find them, we'll be mounting 8 of them outside on 4th floor decks which will be on either side of the new Bridgewater State College observatory (part of the new Science building they will be starting this summer)They will have to survive the crummy weather we get here on the south shore of Massachusetts.

Anyone know where I might look or inquire?

-Joe
Curator, BSC Observatory

#2 WarrenS

WarrenS

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County New York

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

I never heard of such a thing. My Atlas stays outside covered by a heavy duty contractors trash bag underneath a Telegizmo 365 scope cover.

#3 rathbaster

rathbaster

Viking 1

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:14 AM

I never heard of such a thing. My Atlas stays outside covered by a heavy duty contractors trash bag underneath a Telegizmo 365 scope cover.

I assume its had no problems as a result?
Are there problems with condensation under the cover? My boss would like to leave these out on piers permanently aligned and ready to receive their scopes. Four will be south facing and will be baked by the sun.

thanks

Joe

#4 Aquatone

Aquatone

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California Bay Area

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

I know that Astro-Physics AP900, 1200, and 3600 equatorial mounts are left outside continuously at the South Pole with some minor modification (different grease etc) and the standard (industrial grade) electronics can handle it. There are some pictures on their website. However in that location the water is solid!

I have also left my Astro-Physics mounts outside under cover for extended periods with no problems at all. Their mounts are extremely rugged and you may want to ask them for advice.

Chris

#5 rathbaster

rathbaster

Viking 1

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

Thanks, I'll do that :)

-Joe

#6 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Skylab

• Loc: 33S , 151E

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

I know that Astro-Physics AP900, 1200, and 3600 equatorial mounts are left outside continuously at the South Pole with some minor modification (different grease etc) and the standard (industrial grade) electronics can handle it. There are some pictures on their website. However in that location the water is solid!

I have also left my Astro-Physics mounts outside under cover for extended periods with no problems at all. Their mounts are extremely rugged and you may want to ask them for advice.

Chris

You realise it never rains at the South Pole (is the driest place on Earth).

#7 Aquatone

Aquatone

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California Bay Area

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

Sure I know - however check out the pictures of an AP1200 covered in ice... Anyway my point is that the mounts are incredibly rugged, built with industry grade - not consumer grade components, and can withstand climatic extremes.. The electronics module can certainly survive being soaked in dew regularly... (I know!)

Chris

#8 DFEmery

DFEmery

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

Anyone had experience with an Atlas or Sirius mount permanently outside (that is, protected by some appropriate waterproof covering)?

Frankly, I can't imagine a manufacturer ever agreeing that this is OK... but it would solve a BIG problem for me if I could get away with it.

--Dave Emery

#9 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Vanguard

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

Joe: You raise an interesting question. Scopes routinely used in heavy dew conditions would certainly benefit from having such a feature. How difficult would it be to manufacture a weather-resistant - or fully water proof - mount; or perhaps "harden" an existing unit as part of some after-market "Super Tune" service?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics