• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 redeye

redeye

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

Hi all!

I'm worried. I've got a Skywatcher EQ5 mount and I've just discovered that the T-bolt that adjusts altitude (the screw that is on the south side of the mount) is severely banana-shaped and impossible to unscrew or turn more than half a turn. I can see that it's bent through the bottom of the mount (weights removed and the axles-part off from the tripod). How on earth do I get it out without damaging the mount? Do I disassamble it or is there a smarter, easier way?

I'ver read that these bolts are made of cheese but I didn't discover that until now unfortunately.

I'm desperate for help here... :bawling:

Thanks,
Mathias.

#2 John Carruthers

John Carruthers

Skiprat

• Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:38 AM

You can take the eq head out of the base by removing the big swivel bolt, this allows access to the alt adjuster. With luck you can straighten it enough to unscrew it, as you say they are very soft.
Astro Developement's replacement bolt are the answer
http://www.astrodevelopments.co.uk/

#3 redeye

redeye

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hello John, thanks for the answer.

Do you mean by inserting something like a steel rod into the hole in the bottom of the head in order to push the screw straight? Because that's the only idea I have so far...

Thanks,
Mathias.

#4 John Carruthers

John Carruthers

Skiprat

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:32 AM

I use an old tap spanner to gently bend them straight, a stiff bar with a suitable size hole would work just as well but try not to bruise the thread any more. I often have to drill out broken bolts on these mounts and retap a larger thread to suit a larger 10mm bolt, stainless bolts are a worthwhile investment.

#5 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

Same thing happened to my HEQ6. I got me the astrodevelopments replacement, then, as John described removed the head out of the base. Rather than try and straighten it I just got a hacksaw blade and cut out the bent section of bolt. The remaining section then just unscrewed and I replaced it with the astrodevelopments retro fit... Job done :)

#6 redeye

redeye

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:12 AM

Sorted! I inserted a square screwdriver and hit it with a heavy hammer quite hard about 20 times. That managed to bend back the bolt enough for me to unscrew it. First hy hand and later with a plier wrench. I'm not sure if the hole got a little bigger now so I'll try with a steel bolt of the same size first. Otherwise I'll have to retap the hole just like John.

One question there, how do you best get the metal spill out of the hole after drilling?

Cheers,
Mathias.

Sweden.

#7 John Carruthers

John Carruthers

Skiprat

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:33 AM

Grease the bit, then the swarf sticks to it. Likewise with the tap but I usually run a car hoover over it as well, the long 'schnozzle' it ideal for nooks and crannies.

#8 redeye

redeye

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:51 AM

The new bolt fit fine fortunately. It's sad that these bolts seem to be made out of earwax, if it doesn't ruin your mount it sure ruins a few days. Thanks for the assistance though!

/Mathias

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics