Photo

First solar sketch since the transit of Mercury

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

Hi folks,

It's been a few years since I sketched the Sun through an Ha filtered scope (not since the last transit of Mercury), so after finishing up in the shop, I decided to set up the new solar rig and check out the view. I saw a couple of very long and fine proms that seemed to stretch nearly a 1/3 solar radii into space. I imagined that the magnetic loop that had suspended this hot plama had expanded outward and part of the arc had been thrown into space. By the time I had my sketch kit together, the long feathery proms had vanished and I was left with the two proms shown at the right in my sketch. The solar disk was drawn with an approximate representation of the surface granulation, any similarity to the actual granulation is purely coincidental and highly unlikely! :p I need to get a hold of that "Tilting Sun" program to get my P.A. correct. I used a 8mm-24mm TV Zoom eyepiece, sketched at 8mm, magnification 60X. It was an exciting hour or two in Sunny Jacumba, CA this afternoon.

Attached Files

#2 SallyR

SallyR

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:09 AM

It's wonderful to hear that you have had some time to enjoy the sun again - superb solar sketch Rich :waytogo:

I like your portrayal of the H-a layer around the limb, and of the surface 'orange peel' effect as well as the delicate proms - you and your Conte pencils make a very good marriage! :grin:

Tilting Sun as a download can be found here. It's invaluable for finding out solar orientation.

Looking forward to seeing many more of your solar sketches from sunny California :) :flower:

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:29 AM

Rich,

How wonderful, you are back for real. I am happy you are getting settled in to your new home and have found the time to get back to sketching. You certainly have been missed.
And by the way, that is one fine solar sketch. Please do what you can to bring back the sun spots. :bow: :rainbow: :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#4 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:38 PM

Sally,

Thank you so much for the kind words and the link to Tilting Sun! :D I'm going to try several different approaches to sketching ol' Sol. Experimenting with various techniques of recording observations is really fun. After seeing Carlos' sketch tutorial of Gassendi, I bought a Wacom tablet, so I thought I'd try my hand at a digital sketch next. Just hoping Mrs. Conte' Handy understands! :lol:

Frank,

Thanks for the warm welcome back to CN, my online home. Your encouraging words are very much appreciated. :)

#5 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

RIch and the sun, it can only get better keep experimenting there is so much to do and so much to try and so much to enjoy in solar viewing.

Great stuff

Dee :flower: :flower:

#6 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

great solar sketch, very realistic, thanks for posting.

#7 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

Thanks Dee, :flower: :flower: :flower: I am so excited with the chance to try to capture the fleeting changes on our inconstant Sun.

Tommy, Thank you! :D

#8 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

Rich,

An outstanding observation of the Sun in H-alpha. You have captured our closest star very nicely. The prominences look great and appear to flow in the image. I am glad that you were able to observe the Sun from your new home. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

I am honored that you went out and bought a Wacom graphics tablet after my tutorial. It is sad if you gave up your wonderful Conte pencils. I look forward to your future observations using any media.

I took the liberty in adjusting your excellent observation on Photoshop. I increased the levels and added a background glow. I hope that you like it.

Carlos

Attached Files

#9 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

Thanks Carlos! I really like what you did to my sketch. I think it gives it a much more realistic appearance than my posted image. It will definitely take me a while to learn to use the Wacom tablet, but I've got an excellent teacher in you! ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics