Photo

Newt Balance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 plav1959

plav1959

Messenger

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

Any tricks to balancing a newt? I have an Orion Atlas 10" on a CGEM mount. Balance changes dependent on the position of the focuser. I can balance perfectly in RA and Dec with tube on west but as soon as I move from there scope nosedives. I'm sure I will not be able to achieve perfect balance in all positions, but want to minimize strain on the mount.

Thanks,

#2 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

Most people don't do this, but a NEWT should be balanced in three directions; Length of the Tube, weight of the tube, and across from the focuser/finder. This is how to balance it if you are on a GEM. If using a Dob, the only difference is the dec counterweight.

Start with the tube on the west of the mount and pointing North - South. Slide the tube in the rings until it will stay in position with no declination lock (ititially support the scope with your hands), then slide the declination counterweight to balance out the weight of the optical tube and EP. Eventually your movements of these will be small (1/4 inch or less). You are well balanced when the scope stays were you put it.

Now point the scope straight up. If the scope drifts/frops to the focuser side, you'll need to add a counterweight opposite it. Note that any additional weight will cause you to rebalance as before. The entire process becomes quicker the more times you do this, but the end result is a scope balanced so well you need no locks to keep it in ANY position.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics