JMI EV1 or Feathertouch

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 rrhoads1

rrhoads1

Vostok 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:41 PM

Need help! I am replacing my piece of junk stock focuser and am stuck. JMI ev1 or feathertouch? I can't decide. Anyone using either one or both? Build quality? Any performance degredation or wear over time? Has anyone reviewed either focuser. I could not find any reviews. :bangbangbang:

#2 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:54 AM

There is another very popular focuser line by moonlite (http://www.focuser.com) that you may want to consider. I suspect there isn't much difference in any of these three, all make very high quality products. The feathertouch seems to be the most popular if you just look around this site, but I want an electric focuser and it appears JMI does that better than the others.

#3 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:58 AM

I put a Moonlite CR2 on my SN10.

#4 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

I have a Feathertouch and it is boss. A member of our club has one on his scope. I have viewed through that scope many times. The first time i used the Feathertouch, I knew that i had to have one, they are so precise and a joy to use. I was really impressed with the quality of it. It is well worth the cost. Not to knock moonlight I have never used one. I hear that they are second choice by many people who know better than me . I asked a member here, if should I get the Moon light or Feathertouch. This guy is well respected here on Cloudy Nights he did not try to influence me either way. Once I told him That I had ordered the Feathertouch he said that I had made the right choice. Yes it is more expensive but the quality is there. It is by far the best upgrade that I have dome to my scope. I do not regret having spent the money on it. I hope my own experience helps you.

#5 Shawn H

Shawn H

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Equatorial Guinea, West Africa

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

Im always tweaking at the focuser, I'm not sure if its my bad eyesight but I'm always playing with the focuser knob too get that just right view! Ive alway's felt that a good focuser is an important piece of kit! Soo far I have a Starlight feather touch focuser & a Moonlite CR2 both are good but the Feather touch (more expensive of coarse) is the best! Heavy good machined metal but "buttery smooth" I remember taking off the standard Crayford focuser that came with my xt10i, it was alu and felt like a feather, the FT felt like real steel & was soo good the money spent was satisfied ;) Shawn

#6 Michael Nugent

Michael Nugent

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mukwonago, Wisconsin USA

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:56 AM

Hi,

I replaced my stock focuser with a feathertouch and am extremely happy with it. Very well made and a vast improvement over the stock focuser. For me, it was definitely an excellent investment! There are many on CN that have similar views on the feathertouch (in fact, this is where I got the idea to make the change). I believe there are also many who will talk up the JMI unit and some who may have both (the JMI unit really does look like a very well-made focuser). I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

Clear skies,

Mike

#7 Víctor Martínez

Víctor Martínez

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cadiz - Spain

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

Hi:
I have a JMI EV-1n and I'm very happy with his performance, is a great focuser, solid, well built and with very good precision.
Greetings
Víctor

#8 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

So which is better: Lamborghini, Ferrari, or Aston-Martin?
Frankly, with all the beautiful machining available in the 3 choices mentioned, how can you lose?
Choose by features and color.
motorized?
filter slide?
rotatable?
1 or 2 speed?
compression ring or not?
PC control of focuser?
weight limit?
etc.

#9 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

Need help! I am replacing my piece of junk stock focuser and am stuck. JMI ev1 or feathertouch? I can't decide. Anyone using either one or both? Build quality? Any performance degredation or wear over time? Has anyone reviewed either focuser. I could not find any reviews. :bangbangbang:

Hi,

I have motor drive JMI EV1, FeatherTouch, and Moonlite focuser for Vixen VMC260L.

They are all good addition to VMC260L primary focuser. I like FT best among them for visual use.

All of them do not work with Vixen 0.67x reducer so I have Borg Helical focuser for it.

Tammy

#10 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

So, Tammy couldn't decide between Lamborghini, Ferrari and Aston Martin, so he bought one of each.....and got a McLaren F1 to complete the set. :lol:

#11 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

So, Tammy couldn't decide between Lamborghini, Ferrari and Aston Martin, so he bout one of each.....and got a McLaren F1 to complete the set. :lol:

:funny: :lol:

#12 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:03 PM

So, Tammy couldn't decide between Lamborghini, Ferrari and Aston Martin, so he bought one of each.....and got a McLaren F1 to complete the set. :lol:

Hi Don,

Yup. Something like that.

It is a sure way to know whether they work for me.
I keep all four focusers in case I buy VMC330L :)

By the way, I drive Subaru, not WRX STi though :grin:

Tammy

#13 DennisF

DennisF

Apollo

• Loc: Northern IL

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:54 PM

I've got a Moonlite on my dob, a FT on a refractor, and 2 FTs on SCTs. They all are considerable upgrades and will spoil you. I haven't used the JMI, but they have a excellent reputation.

#14 rrhoads1

rrhoads1

Vostok 1

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

Ok....so......either is a good choice. I plan to get into imaging a little more seriously. Is there a preference toward one or the other for imaging? I seem to remember someone saying that the feathertouch had a tendency to slip under heavier loads. Ayone experience this??

#15 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

All Crayford style focusers can slip if not adjusted properly. The FT won't slip if the tension is adjusted correctly. Me personally, I stick with Moonlite. I've had JMI and they are pretty nice, but I just prefer Moonlite's quality and appearance. As well as the choice of colors to match any decor! :lol:
You'll be fine with any of those three compared to the stock focuser..

Jeff

#16 rrhoads1

rrhoads1

Vostok 1

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

I like the looks of the moonlite. I don't like that the body does not encompass the drawtube completely. Seems like it would be a good spot for dust/dirt to collect and possibly enter the optical tube. The colors are really cool though!

#17 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Ohio

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

I have a JMI on my Obsession, have never used a Feathertouch. The JMI is very smooth and well built . I have no issues with it. Not to say the FT isnt a "better" focuser, but just havent used one.

#18 srwolf

srwolf

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton, Alberta

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

Whichever one you pick, make sure your light path is the same length. When I bought a feathertouch for my 8" dob, I had to have a spacer built to raise it up about 3" to make it the same as the stock focuser.

#19 rrhoads1

rrhoads1

Vostok 1

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

Good point!! I know JMI has an lxd75 install option that does just that. I am waiting to hear back from the folks at Starlight about the Feathertouch. Moonlight has an lxd75 option too.

#20 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

All Crayfords have gaps in them. For open tube or truss scopes, it's not an issue since the scope itself has a lot bigger "gap" at the front than is around the drawtube. :p

Jeff

I like the looks of the moonlite. I don't like that the body does not encompass the drawtube completely. Seems like it would be a good spot for dust/dirt to collect and possibly enter the optical tube. The colors are really cool though!

#21 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:46 AM

I just noticed that the JMI SCT focusers don't have very much travel to them compared to the others. Not nealy enough.

#22 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:40 PM

You only need about 1/4" of microfocusing after you focus with the main focuser knob.
Extra travel isn't really essential.

#23 oldtimer

oldtimer

Apollo

• Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

The Feathertouch has gone through several uopgrades over the last decade. I have both a very early model and a newer model. Both still work flawlessly. I have also used feathertouch's motorized unit and it is excellent.

#24 rrhoads1

rrhoads1

Vostok 1

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

Well, after getting the information back from Feathertouch I think I'm leaning towards the JMI. The Feathertouch model that was recommended only has 1.5" of travel. My origional focuser has 3" and the JMI has 2.5" I use the scope for visual and ccd imaging. I don't know if 1.5" of focus travel will allow me to focus eyepieces and my ccd imager.

#25 rrhoads1

rrhoads1

Vostok 1

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

If anyone was wondering.......

I finally made my focuser purchase. I was waiting for Feathertouch to figure out which components I would need to make their focuser work with my scope. They came up with a system that would give me 2.5" of focus travel and get my eyepieces at the correct height to focus them. Unfortunately by the time we figured out what I would need the price was just too high.:money:

The Moonlite CR 2" was very tempting and I'm sure it's probably a great focuser but the fact that the body is open on the backside just bothers me. (I know, I need to seek help) :twitch:

I went with a JMI EV-1n with the EV-75 upgrade
I think I will be happy with it.:bounce:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics