Photo

New iOptron heavy duty GEM

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

If only it could be so! The cost of those bronze worm wheels has got to be a major part of the price! I'm just chomping at the bit waiting to get one in my hands. I love to play with new toys and I have very high hopes for the Supreme. Time will tell.

CS

Steve

#52 netwolf

netwolf

Vostok 1

• Loc: NSW, Australia

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:55 PM

I am sure Ioptron think they have a product that can compete with the higher end established mounts. And it is completly up to them to set there price. However it seems to make little sense. What is going to make a customer put thee same money on a unknown whne many established mounts are available on the market at the same or similar price point. Even if the results are amazingly good, it's a hardsell in my humble opinion. What would be better is to provide something in the midrange mounts like the EQ6, CGE Pro etc, establish a baseline for awesome quality with low PE etc, and then later release a higher end mount. This way you build your following of users who will at some point either upgrade or recommend to others.

Just take a simple pole and ask people would you spend 7-8k on an unkown chinese made mount, or would you buy an established brand like Tak, Vixen, AP, MI, Paralax, etc. I think you will find the answer would be loud and clear. A small percentage will of course always go for something diffrent.

Just look at the backlash here on this one thread after the simple speculation of the price yet to be actually set. Makes no sense to me why a company would do that. But then again many other new mounts have come onto the market of late with big price tags like the Iot (i think thats what its called). But that on is made in the US. Made in China still carries with it unfortunately a thinking of not as good quality. Fair or unfair thats how it is.
The many threads about the AT/GSO RC's scopes are a testament to this. The saving grace for the AT/RC was at the near last minute the price for the 8" was dramtically dropped and it generated a lot more interest from customers then. An 8" RC at similar price to 8" from an established vendor would perhaps not have sold as well.

#53 jouster

jouster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

Darren, I know what you mean. I just need to keep things under my hat until I have solid data. I will say that it will be less than $8499.99, much less.
[...]
iOptron is working very, VERY hard to make certain that this mount is the best that can be for a very fair price. From what I can see I think that they've really done their homework and will make a lot of people very happy.
Steve

Okay, that all sounds good. Let's wait and see. Hopefully the wait won't be too long.

I'm a little miffed that iOptron is trying to head into the high end mount business. Tak (NJP), MI (MI-250), AP (900GTO), Celestron (CGE Pro), Losmandy (Titan), Vixen (Atlux) and Parallax (HD-150) all have mounts with similar specs between the $5000 and $9000 price points.

Why is more choice a bad thing?

[...] But then again many other new mounts have come onto the market of late with big price tags like the Iot (i think thats what its called).

The smaller Iott, the 262, is $8k with polar scope and pier: a pretty good deal imho*. It looked very impressive at NEAF.

*Looking over my posts, I see that I have been mentioning the Iott a lot. That's because I really want one! Other than admiring them, I should state that I have absolutely no connection to them.

#54 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

This company seems to know its markets well...so I for one think the price will be lower than most expect...I have no prior knowledge whatsoever BUT this group has probably done some market research and my guess is this mount will insert itself into a competitive price group.

#55 richard7

richard7

Not Quite

• Moderators
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

Can we go back to the question raised earlier.
How about those scopes sitting on the mount?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics