Photo

Anyone know which Quickset tripod model this is?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

• Loc: Clinton, TN

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:03 AM

I've found this tripod locally for a good price, but I can't seem to match it to any pictures of Quickset tripods I've found online or in this thread: Quickset tripods
The current owners don't have a model # or any other info about it - I've only had limited contact with the sellers thus far. Anyone know which model it is? This is the only pic I have of it. What I'm really interested in load capacity and height. I also noted that it doesn't have any brace rods going out from the elevator column to the tripod legs - odd? Thanks.

Attached Files

#2 AlienFirstClass

AlienFirstClass

Vendor

• -----

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:10 PM

It is a Samson type.

The lightest of the Quickset series.

#3 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

• Loc: Brooker, FL

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

I doubt it's a Samson - I've had four, and kept two; it looks like none of them. But I don't know what it is.

#4 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:19 AM

Bumpity bump - still looking for info. Thanks.

#5 BillB9430

BillB9430

Vostok 1

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

The tripod in your photo looks very similar to my Quickset Husky IV model. Mine has the older shiny legs, rather than the newer black ones and my panning handle seems slightly shorter. Otherwise they seem identical. Most folks know of the big Quickset tripods with sturdy elevator columns. The Gibralter (200 lb. capacity), Hercules (150 lb. cap.), and Samson (40 lb. cap.) are still made and pretty expensive if purchased new. Used ones are sometimes available at more reasonable cost and are ideal for astronomy use (especially for refractors), since the column can be raised or lowered to give comfortable viewing. They are also ideal for star parties, as the scope can be lowered by cranking down the column so that kids can view more easily. They come with a head designed for photography or video, so usually it is necessary to modify or replace that so that the mounted scope can point to objects near zenith. Quickset also made a whole variety of lighter tripods for photography. They were sometimes marketed under other brand names, but the Quickset quality is easy to identify once you've seen a few. I have a light tripod that weighs just under 3 lb. that is labeled "Fairfax Elevator" but I believe it is Quickset built. To help you ID the tripod in question, the Sampson tripod with head weighs about 12 pounds while my Husky IV weighs 7 lb. The Husky IV with the legs fully extended (3 sections to each leg) and spread holds the camera mount 1/4-20 screw about 62" above the floor and the elevator column extends that up an additional 15". I've also seen a nearly identical "Hi-boy IV" Model with legs having four sections. The Quickset Husky IV is a heavy duty camera tripod and is very nice to mount my homemade spotting scope with Jaegers 3" lens. I paid $25 for my Husky IV, bought used at a camera store years ago. I think it's hard to beat the larger Quickset or Majestic tripods for stable, portable astronomy tripods, provided you have the ability to modify them or just replace the pan heads with an equatorial or alt-azimuth set up for astronomical use. That Husky IV should be useful for mounting a small scope for "Grab & Go" or for mounting binoculars. Hope this helps. - Bill

#6 AlienFirstClass

AlienFirstClass

Vendor

• -----

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

The tripod in your photo looks very similar to my Quickset Husky IV model. Mine has the older shiny legs, rather than the newer black ones and my panning handle seems slightly shorter. Otherwise they seem identical. Most folks know of the big Quickset tripods with sturdy elevator columns. The Gibralter (200 lb. capacity), Hercules (150 lb. cap.), and Samson (40 lb. cap.) are still made and pretty expensive if purchased new. Used ones are sometimes available at more reasonable cost and are ideal for astronomy use (especially for refractors), since the column can be raised or lowered to give comfortable viewing. They are also ideal for star parties, as the scope can be lowered by cranking down the column so that kids can view more easily. They come with a head designed for photography or video, so usually it is necessary to modify or replace that so that the mounted scope can point to objects near zenith. Quickset also made a whole variety of lighter tripods for photography. They were sometimes marketed under other brand names, but the Quickset quality is easy to identify once you've seen a few. I have a light tripod that weighs just under 3 lb. that is labeled "Fairfax Elevator" but I believe it is Quickset built. To help you ID the tripod in question, the Sampson tripod with head weighs about 12 pounds while my Husky IV weighs 7 lb. The Husky IV with the legs fully extended (3 sections to each leg) and spread holds the camera mount 1/4-20 screw about 62" above the floor and the elevator column extends that up an additional 15". I've also seen a nearly identical "Hi-boy IV" Model with legs having four sections. The Quickset Husky IV is a heavy duty camera tripod and is very nice to mount my homemade spotting scope with Jaegers 3" lens. I paid $25 for my Husky IV, bought used at a camera store years ago. I think it's hard to beat the larger Quickset or Majestic tripods for stable, portable astronomy tripods, provided you have the ability to modify them or just replace the pan heads with an equatorial or alt-azimuth set up for astronomical use. That Husky IV should be useful for mounting a small scope for "Grab & Go" or for mounting binoculars. Hope this helps. - Bill

Good response Bill.

#7 scout72

scout72

Apollo

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:21 PM

Yes, that is a Husky Model- there should be a serial number next to the Quickset label on a black and silver plaque. I believe all of the Huskys start "9-"

At any rate, all of the ones I have seen and the one I own have braces between the column and legs- but the clamp to the legs is made of a brittle material and most of this model tripod you find have one or more broken.

#8 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

OK, I purchased this tripod today for $15 (local Craigslist find)! It's actually pretty nice. There is no label on it telling the model #, but the serial # is 5-955xx-x, with another 7 digit number underneath that one. I think it can support about 20 lbs. or so. The pan/tilt head turns nicely. The total height, with elevator extended, is 75"; with the elevator fully down it's 60.5". Each leg is 3 segments, 20" on the bottom segment, and about 19" for the other two. There are no leg to elevator braces, nor were there ever any. I'll try and post some more pics later.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics