G-11 question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joelwhicker

joelwhicker

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

I just received a used G-11 mount with digital drive (non-Gemini) that has the Losmandy encoders and DSC's. Two questions:

1) In RA there appears to be a tiny amount of slop or stiction when initiating a movement. Nothing extreme, and depends on the tension of the clutch. Backlash is virtually non-existent when slewing with the hand controller. Should I just adjust tension of the clutch to minimize or is there something with the worm/block that needs adjustment?

2) I got two of these nylon discs included. What are they? Replacement clutch pads? Originals that have never been used and need to be installed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 Jason Glass

Jason Glass

Mariner 2

• Loc: 36°33'9.19"N, 86°40'7.36"W

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hi Joel,

The Nylon discs are the original clutch disks. A few years ago, Scott offered replacement UHMW polyethylene disks as an upgrade for older mounts, and new mounts come with them as stock. The UHMW has much less stiction than the original Nylon. Your previous owner probably replaced them.

A little worm backlash is both unavoidable and required for proper worm gear mesh. Determining how much is too much is tricky, though. If your tracking and slewing under motor power are OK, then it's probably fine.

#3 joelwhicker

joelwhicker

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

Thanks Jason, I appreciate the help! I was also glad to see that your G-11 sold!

#4 Jason Glass

Jason Glass

Mariner 2

• Loc: 36°33'9.19"N, 86°40'7.36"W

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

Hi Joel,

It didn't sell. Another buyer paid then backed out of the deal so I refunded his money. Then I gave up.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics