Photo

Mitty Industries Wedge for CPC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul McC

Paul McC

Apollo

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:35 AM

I got to see the CPC version at OPT's (Ocean Pacific Telescope) booth at NEAF on Saturday! Looks spectacular, but I hate to buy without hearing of the experiences of others (the exception being my CPC 1100... there were no others to hear from when I got mine. Of course, the CPC 1100 has been nothing but wonderful for me, so I got lucky here :) ). Craig Weathermax himself was talking to me about this spectacular wedge and how proud he was that they were able to secure them for the CPC line!

My question is, have any of you gotten one and used it yet? It looked incredibly well built. I think the price is probably about right for a well built wedge, but I really would like to hear about how it performs in the field.

btw- for those who don't know what I'm talking about, see this:
http://www.optcorp.c...6&kw=wedge&st=2

Clear Skies,
Paul

#2 NCMountains

NCMountains

Apollo

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

This or a Milburn would be my way to go. They do carry a hefty price however.

#3 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

It certainly looks robust - in manufacture and price. We already know if you go "cheap" with the Celestron mount you get what you pay for. Best to pay a fair price for a piece of kit that is up to the job.

Then again, I find it much easier to spend others' money than mine. :whee:

#4 Stardaug

Stardaug

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

I can't speak for the Mitty but I did pick up a used Milburn for my CPC800 a couple months back. I had to modify it a bit to fit the base of the CPC because it was made to fit a Meade. It's worked really well and it's heavy, heavy duty for sure! Weighs a ton! It's rock solid and has been a champ. I read some horror stories of people using EQ wedges and having a tough time but I think those are cheaper, less sturdy EQ wedges being used. The Milburn is solid and adjusting it is really a snap. You definitely need a heavy duty well built wedge though. I couldn't image using something smaller and cheaper.

Cheers.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics