Simple question re: EZ Touch mount....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ClemTig

ClemTig

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:20 AM

When I turn the scope on one side, does the other side aim at the same target? If I get a second scope for my 1st grade son to look through, will I be able to steer one side and have the other side follow the target?

Thanks,
Dan

#2 antilles72

antilles72

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

Hey Clem. Yes they will point to the same target.

#3 Bradley B

Bradley B

Messenger

• Loc: Sacramento, California

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

Yes and no: The two sides are supposed to point to the location (ALT and AZ) but there might be a slight difference between "sides." you can adjust the Losmandy side ALT so that it points exactly to the same ALT as the Vixen side by loosening its set screws then moving the flange/saddle appropriately.

If you are "off" in the AZ, about the only thing you can do is shim the saddle or dovetail, as the case may be--though a difference in AZ is unlikely.

#4 Terrance

Terrance

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Portland Or.

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

Yea, you do have to use a allen wrench to get one head to point to the same altitude as the other. This may take some tinkering and trial and error, but it is doable.

The two sides of the mount head are connected and do, indeed must, move in unison. If you have adjusted the head on the other side to point up at the same angle as the provided dovetail on the other side, then 2 mounted scopes will point the same basic place.

I tinkered with mine a bit so that there is only about a couple of degrees difference in altitude but stopped fussing with it at that point.

If we ever get sun spots back, it may be worth my while to fuss with it further, and use a refractor with solar filter on one side and a PST on the other, and so compare the white light view with the Hydrogen Alpha view at the same time.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics