• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EclipsingBinary

EclipsingBinary

Vostok 1

• Loc: The Motor City

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

Hello,
About 2 years ago I bought the Vixen porta mount for my Coronado pst. It works fine for this scope. I have an opportunity to buy a 90mm Williams flourite refractor or a Celestron 5" spotter.I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which scope (weight)would work for this mount? The reason I ask is that someone I talked to at the telescope dealer here in MI said they put a Williams 110mm refractor on the Vixen porta and it ground up the vertical and horizontal bearings even though the weight was within the limits for the mount. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:12 AM

I have owned a Porta mount for nearly 3 years now and have mounted a Meade 8" classic SCT on it without any issues..and now a SV 102ED refractor that also works very well. The SCT and accessories was about 16 lbs total, but the OTA was only 16" long. The SV 102ED and accessories (50mm finder, 2" diagonal, clamshell) weighs about 13.5 lbs. So I wouldn't mount a refractor on the Porta that is going to weigh more than about 11 lbs without accessories..especially if it is a longer OTA like an f8 or f9 4" refractor.

#3 SATMAN

SATMAN

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ 39.7 lat., -74.3 long

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

I have a Brandon 94 f7 apo (24" long including the dewcap)and a Televue Star beam finder Weighs about 13 lbs and It seems to be working ok,
just adjust the tension so it holds with no over tightening, Be careful to balance the scope.
I been using this combo for about 2 years with out any problems. One accessory to get is slow motion cable extensions. The ones provide are not very durable.

#4 Manny Myles

Manny Myles

Cosmos

• Loc: Far South of the flyover city of Chicago

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

I use a Porta with a WO 80mm and it works just fine but its a bit smaller than the 90mm you might be getting.
I know of another gentleman that has a SV 102 and he had alot of problems using the Porta and wound up ruining the mount trying to lock down the alt to keep the thing balanced.
YMMV
m2

#5 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

I've used my Porta with a number of scopes and so far no gear issues. I've used a Meade 80mm APO, a TV-85, an SV 102ED and one one occasion I even tried my C4-R 102mm achromat. The only problem using that scope on the Porta is it's too long plus it weighs a lot. I added a Moonlite focuser to it plus I use two finders. I had a serious vibration problem when focusing or when using the slow motion controls. But the mount held it.

The perfect marriage seems to be the TV-85 on the Portamount. For some reason the weight/length combo makes that scope perform well on the mount. When focusing, even at high mag, I see very little vibration.

#6 EclipsingBinary

EclipsingBinary

Vostok 1

• Loc: The Motor City

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

Hello to everyone.
Thank you for your thoughts. I have the long slo-mo cables and those short stick ones and they work ok.
I think I would be about 9 or 10#'s w/the WO 90mm and about 7 to 8#'s w/the 5" sct tube, but I think the sct tube is shorter than the refractor.

#7 JAFE

JAFE

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Yavin IV rebel base,

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

I´ve had used my Porta with an FS 78 about 11# with clamshell, 9x50 finder, diagonal and eyepiece and works very well. I´ve had not any problems with the slow motions provided. One accesory to get it´s a set of vibration suppression pads. I´m really happy with my new G&G setup.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics