Photo

Moon and Jupiter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

I was able to view the Waning Crescent Moon (24.7 days old) and the planet Jupiter in the early morning sky on April 20, 2009 (08:30 U.T.). Gray-lavender clouds were passing over the Moon giving it a muted pastel-yellow color, an eerie effect. The planet Jupiter (-2.17m) hung like a beacon towards the southwest approximately 10 degrees from the Moon. The Moon was approximately 7 degrees above the horizon while Jupiter was 11.5 degrees.

A digital image produced using Gimp (2.6).

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

Carlos,

Your view of this beautiful conjunction is remarkable and quite dramatic. It has a very moody feel to it, almost pensive. Great capture my friend!

#3 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

Great sketch of this event, it is almost as if i were seeing it in person, thanks for posting,hope you get a chance to see the close encounter between venus and the moon.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:00 PM

Carlos,

A majestic morning capture. Excellent work Carlos. :bow:

Frank :)

#5 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

Fabulous rendition Carlos. I'm gonna have to skip the Venus/Moon occultation and wait for your sketch instead. :grin:

Great job.

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:26 AM

Frank, Jim, Rich, and Tommy

Thank for your compliments on my Moon and Jupiter conjunction observation. It was an impressive sight to see a misty Moon and brilliant Jupiter nearby. The best of luck with the Moon and Venus conjunction.

Carlos

#7 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

Carlos,

The other morning, our first in our new home (Saturday), my wife woke me around 5a.m. and looking out the top most windows that are not covered (and won't be) was the Moon and Jupiter. It was really lovely. We had no clouds as you do but your image brought that moment back to me. Visual observing (I did bring my 10x50's in case) is about all I can do until next Sunday/Monday and I lose the internet for the rest of this week (vacation) so thanks for capturing this and helping me to remember that visual observing can be just as captivating as telescopic observing. That and sharing something beautiful with someone you love is also pretty cool too. Thanks for sharing.

I really like the affect around Jupiter as well. I'll have to try doing a moon capture in GIMP. I know how to do a planet so it shouldn't be too hard. Nicely done again.

#8 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:26 AM

Jay,

Thank you for the compliment on my Moon and Jupiter conjunction observation. It was an impressive sight under less than ideal conditions. I am glad that you were able to view the Moon and Jupiter together. Congratulations on your new home and may you enjoy many wonderful observations from it in the future.

Carlos

#9 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

Carlos

I wrote to commend you on this beautiful rendering earlier before I went out to view the occultation this morning... When I returned home to check your comments, mine as the first was gone?? Not sure how that happened.

Anyway, I just wanted to offer my praise again for your sketch work and I will do one as soon as I am awake again. It was a harrowing morning to drive around looking for a clearing from the clouds just to peak briefly at the occultation as Venus touched the moon, then back into clouds.

best regards,
Mark

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

Mark,

Thank you or the compliment on my Moon and Jupiter observation. I was fortunate to be able to view the event at all. The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics