Photo

AT Voyager Arm Position Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

So, I got my AT Voyager w/ extension tube today. Perfect for grab-n-go. Though I need an eyepiece tray to add stability and somewhere for my EP's. My other mounts, Atlas and CGE well, they ain't grab-n-go's.

So what's the best, most comfortable way to have the arm?

I'm more interested in stability as opposed to comfort. I'll get comfortable after everything is stable.

I put my TMB92SS on there to test it out, it's stable but coming from someone who's used to the CGE or Atlas, I'm kinda nervous (I know I shouldn't be) - hence me posting.

It'd be great if some experienced AT Voyager users could post some pics of how they mount their scope to it.

I'll be mounting a SN10 on there.........kidding. It's gonna be a TMB92SS or my Lunt LS60T Ha.

I can't wait for the next cloudy day (sounds weird, huh?) and there's a 10-minutes hole in the clouds and I can have my first ever, "grab-n-go" session.... :grin:

#2 oldsalt

oldsalt

Astro Philosopher

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

I have mine in the vertical position, right now there is an Antares 127mm f/6.45 on it. No extention and no stability issues. Hope that helps.

#3 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

I sometimes mount my TSA102 on the Voyager but the set up appears to be a bit precarious to me. So I always stand by the side while observing in case someone may accidentally exert an unwanted sideway push causing the set up to fall over.

K W TONG
----------------
C8 + CG-5GT, TSA102 + HEQ5 PRO, MK67 + Voyager Mount, WO ZS 80FD + Kenko NES, NexStar 6SE, WO Megrez 72 + Mizar K Mount, Mini Borg 50, C5, PST

Attached Files

#4 Time on my hands

Time on my hands

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:27 AM

The mount is more stable with the arm in the vertical position but long tubes need the 45 deg position to look high up. I use a 127 Mak and it is light enough that putting the arm at the 45 deg position does not significantly reduce the stability while bring the eyepiece closer.

Set it up on some carpet and play with the different positions. Use the one that makes you the most comfortable, without being unstable.

#5 sctchun

sctchun

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

Hi Randy,

Here's my solar setup on my Voyager, a Meade 80mm with LS50 filter and a Mini Borg 50 with Baader film.

Steven

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics