CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

More Galaxies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron

Aaron

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:50 PM

Another night of galaxy-hunting with some challenges.

The Whale & Calf: NGC 4631 & NGC 4627 - Never seen these before but meaning to find them:
Posted Image

The Antennae Galaxy: NGC 4038 & NGC 4039 - Was suggested to draw from a friend. It was very challenging separating the two members, I suspect the transparency in this part of the sky was deteriorating:
Posted Image

The Splinter Galaxy: NGC 5907 - Another new object for me, random find from 'to view' list after moving to Draco for better sky.
Posted Image

Draco Galaxy Group: NGC 5985, 5982 & 5981 - Wrote this down from a CN post a long time ago, I didn't know what to expect. Awesome spiral structure in 5985:
Posted Image

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

Aaron,

These are all impressive galaxy sketches. You do a very nice job on your galaxy sketches especially teasing out the details. :cool: :bow:

Frank :)

#3 Aaron

Aaron

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:36 PM

Thanks. I forgot to mention, I tried some new things with these. Mainly, per a CN suggestion, I used a black t-shirt around my neck as a hood, which worked amazingly. I have long used an eye-patch which in combination with the hood provides total black immersion.

I've also been better about planing my dark-adaptation since the brightness of drawing often kills it. I study the object a lot more when I'm fully dark-adapted and do drawing in spurts from memory instead of checking the view more frequently while drawing. I regain dark-adaptation in the hood after periods of drawing to study details. This worked very well and I was amazed how much more I could see.

Aaron

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Cosmos

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

Aaron,

More excellent observations of interesting galaxies in the Spring sky. The observations show much variety in the types of galaxies visible. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#5 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

Aaron,

Been on vacation but these are excellent sketches and I like the details you got here. Nicely done.

#6 Tom Machtemes

Tom Machtemes

Vostok 1

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

Aaron,

You have some nice sketches.

:thanx:

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics