• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron

Aaron

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Eugene OR

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:50 PM

Another night of galaxy-hunting with some challenges.

The Whale & Calf: NGC 4631 & NGC 4627 - Never seen these before but meaning to find them:
Posted Image

The Antennae Galaxy: NGC 4038 & NGC 4039 - Was suggested to draw from a friend. It was very challenging separating the two members, I suspect the transparency in this part of the sky was deteriorating:
Posted Image

The Splinter Galaxy: NGC 5907 - Another new object for me, random find from 'to view' list after moving to Draco for better sky.
Posted Image

Draco Galaxy Group: NGC 5985, 5982 & 5981 - Wrote this down from a CN post a long time ago, I didn't know what to expect. Awesome spiral structure in 5985:
Posted Image

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

Aaron,

These are all impressive galaxy sketches. You do a very nice job on your galaxy sketches especially teasing out the details. :cool: :bow:

Frank :)

#3 Aaron

Aaron

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Eugene OR

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:36 PM

Thanks. I forgot to mention, I tried some new things with these. Mainly, per a CN suggestion, I used a black t-shirt around my neck as a hood, which worked amazingly. I have long used an eye-patch which in combination with the hood provides total black immersion.

I've also been better about planing my dark-adaptation since the brightness of drawing often kills it. I study the object a lot more when I'm fully dark-adapted and do drawing in spurts from memory instead of checking the view more frequently while drawing. I regain dark-adaptation in the hood after periods of drawing to study details. This worked very well and I was amazed how much more I could see.

Aaron

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

Aaron,

More excellent observations of interesting galaxies in the Spring sky. The observations show much variety in the types of galaxies visible. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#5 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

Aaron,

Been on vacation but these are excellent sketches and I like the details you got here. Nicely done.

#6 Tom Machtemes

Tom Machtemes

Vostok 1

• Loc: Evergreen Park, Ill.

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

Aaron,

You have some nice sketches.

:thanx:

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics