Moon and Venus on the Morning of April 22, 2009

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

Before retiring for the evening I set my alarm clock to awaken at 4:30 am local time. I was not happy to see the sky heavily overcast but I did noticed that the sky to the east was clear from the horizon to about 12° up. Traveling due east for me would after 25 miles take you to the southern tip of Lake Michigan in Indiana. I could tell that this heavy cloud cover rolled in from the west while I slept but was not yet over the lake. I grabbed a pair of 8x50 binoculars and my sketching materials and climbed out a bedroom window onto the roof of my house to sketch. Originally I was hoping to use a telescope. At 5:00 am local time I could see both the waning crescent moon and Venus about 7° above the horizon. I noted the position of Venus relative to the moon and began sketching. Within 15 minutes the moon disappeared into the cloud layers followed by Venus and the view was over at about 5:16 am. The sky eventually cleared in the morning but the Lunar /Venus event was over by then.

Sketching:

For this sketch I used: black Strathmore 400 Artagain paper, 10"x 11", white and black Conte' pastel pencils and a blending stump. Brightness was slightly decreased after scanning.

8 x 50mm binoculars
Date: 4-22-2009 10:00-10:16 UT
Temperature: 1°C (34°F)
mostly cloudy, breezy
Seeing: Below Average
Co longitude: 241.6°
Lunation: 26.75 days
Illumination: 9 %

Frank McCabe :)

Attached Files

#2 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

Very nice and accurate sketch. I made a similar sketch to this one through my binoculars, but yours is much better than mine.

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

TenthEnemy,

Thank you for your kind words. :thanx: Please post your sketch, there is no such thing as better just different sketches from different points of view.

Frank :)

#4 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

Very nice lunar/venus sketch, glad you got a chance to see it.

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:22 PM

Tommy5,

Thank you, I was hoping for a longer look but at least a got to see the pair together. Did you catch any part of the event? :question: A view from a small plane would have been good. :)

#6 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

• Loc: Pacifica, CA, USA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:21 AM

Great Sketch Frank! I'm glad to see the two crescents, I only really got to observe it naked eye.

I planned on taking the photography route. I got to my work in time to setup my camera and tripod in time to catch the event. Unfortunately I apparently didn't get permission to photograph on company property, so our security squad shut me down about 2 minutes before Venus disappeared. I had only just started taking shots to figure out what exposure settings to use when they shut me down, and my setup wasn't the most stable, so there was lots of shake movement in the few images I did capture.

We had a pretty thick haze across the Bay to the East and South which made the moon rise look a deep incredible ruby/blood red. I wished I had brought my sketching stuff instead, they would've left me completely alone with sketching materials (though they might've come by and asked what I was doing).

I'm glad I got to see it, but I left and went to work before Venus snuck out the other side.

#7 Tom Machtemes

Tom Machtemes

Vostok 1

• Loc: Evergreen Park, Ill.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

Frank,

A very nice sketch :cool:

:thanx:

Tom

#8 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

Frank,

An excellent observation of the Moon and Venus in the same field. You captured a good amount of detail although the weather did not cooperate. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

I am glad that you did not fall off the roof!

Carlos

#9 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

Frank

Beautiful sketch! :bow: :bow: :bow: I sympathize with your struggles with the clouds as this severely diminished my efforts to view the event too.

I like the way that you added the clouds just into the top of the scene as to indicate the portent of fleeting moments to observe. It tells the story of accomplished yet strained desires of observational astronomy that we as astronomers know, all too well :confused:

Mark

#10 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

Frank,I wasn't able to see the event, too busy sleeping, yes a view from a small plane would be nice, but i sold my plane when i got married, the cost was too high to justify, when folks talk about the cost of being an amatuer astronomer it is chicken feed compared to the yearly cost of owning or renting a small plane, unless you get addicted to astrophotography , which is why i prefere the ancient art of sketching, much cheaper,improves your seeing ability, anyway sorry for hijacking your thread. BTW i think i just wrote the longest run-on sentence in CN history. :lol:

#11 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

Jim, Tom, Carlos, Mark and T5,

Thank you all for your kind words and comments. I would have enjoyed seeing the main event but I'm lucky I got to see the moonrise considering the cloud cover recently.

#12 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:11 PM

Frank

I just had a run-on thread thought from Tommy here. I do not usually post images or tangential photo posts to others threads but I thought you might enjoy this; again I am sorry if this looks like highjacking :confused:. It is from my post of the Lunar Occultation of Venus. The clouded scene I snapped a couple of sky images of to show my frustrations with the clouds. (I added a couple of photos to my original post and hope that that is OK in one post.) Note the horizon over Portland from the south downdown West Hills (not the city center downtown) where the moon and Venus were seen directly east, which I only saw a brief opening into the clouds for a few seconds to get the sketch image from, yet Jupiter was high into the clearing (upper right southeast sky) for the entire morning. >
Posted Image

Also to respond to Tommy's run-on sentence :cool:, Tommy- you might enjoy seeing the response to the post about my lecture. 'Vennard' or Mike V makes some very interesting points about the artistic process vs photography >
http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

-Mark

#13 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

Very cool photo Mark, and thank you for directing me to your interesting post on sketching.

#14 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

Mark,

This is a nice photo. Clouds cause more than their share of frustration when attempting rare astronomical observations.
----
T5,
You are wise to get your rest. I would do the same facing a full day of work. And congratulations on the long run on sentence. I'd be proud if I had done that.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics