• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Danville, California

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:51 AM

If I were strictly a visual observer, I would prefer a DM-6 with a DSC unit, like Sky Commander, on a rock-solid tripod. I would love to own a Mach 1 for imaging, no doubt!

Daryl

#27 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:21 AM

A lot of people using the Mach 1 swear by the Losmandy G11 tripod as the best and most reasonably priced option. This is certainly a good option to consider.

When I had my G11 (great mount for the money) I really liked the tripod. I kept the three legs fully extended in a tripod bag for quick setup, never found a suitable carry case for the central pier thingy.

The Eagle looks sweet, not sure if it is tall enough for me.

#28 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:31 AM

I agree that "reasonably level" is nice so it doesn't tip over, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time leveling a GEM. The mount doesn't care if it's level or not - just if it's polar aligned. That's one of the reasons I prefer an equatorial mount over an alt-az. I have plunked my Portable Piers out in some rolling farm fields and never had any problem getting a solid grip on this planet or a decent polar alignment. :)

I could not use the A-P tripod because it's designed for refractors and doesn't go low enough for me to be comfortable with a Newt or SCT. A G11 tripod would be a good choice if you are starting from scratch.

Ron

#29 JumboFlex

JumboFlex

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

Im thinking of a more traditional adjustable leg tripod over a pier but a pier is tempting. I really like the larger range of heights that a traditional tripod affords as well as its greater ability to be leveled on uneven ground. Even though a GEM may not need to be level to function I believe it does take strain off the gears if its operates on a level plane. Given my current viewing site options, flexibility in meeting the terrain is a great option.

The G11 tripod is interesting, not that much cheaper than the AP wood tripod but a lot of people love it and seem to compare it more to the Eagle pier than the wood tripod. It does weigh almost double what the AP wood tripod does which might add to its stability but hampers portability depending upon how you move your setup. Im strong enough and some would say foolish enough to be able to lift the whole observing setup as one unit even with the G11 tripod but still its another 15lbs or so extra. Im talking about simply moving it indoors and outdoors, not vehicle transport, I would break it down for that; although as little as possible.

Im gonna have to put more research into the G11 tripod, see what accessory trays it can use and so forth. The thing about sticking with an all AP setup is that they operate much like Televue in that they create systems around their products to enhance their performance. I can wait just a little while longer to decide on the tripod/pier, the Mach1 is at least around 6 weeks away I think.

The Eagle is an appealing option, the "AP" pressed into the legs seems a little much though. Not sure if it would prevent me from buying one if I wanted it but I would choose a "non AP" option if it were available.

As Doug D said I dont want to skimp on the legs, doesnt make sense. More to think about. Maybe I should just buy a DOB and get it all over with ;)

#30 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

[I used to do film A-P, but got frustrated and quit. I came back to astronomy as a visual observer, but I appreciate quality and put my name on the list]

Never under estimate quality. Having to futz with software or built to minimum specs is just not worth it - if you have the means - get the AP and enjoy it.

BTW - I'm doing film - and loving it.

#31 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:23 PM

I wouldn't stress over it... you wanted to get a quality mount and there are darn few if any that are better than AP

Has anyone seen those new ASA mounts? Just awesome!!! :bigshock:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0Yhsiv2A_Po

#32 JumboFlex

JumboFlex

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:10 AM

I wouldn't stress over it... you wanted to get a quality mount and there are darn few if any that are better than AP

Has anyone seen those new ASA mounts? Just awesome!!! :bigshock:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0Yhsiv2A_Po

Thats pretty crazy, there are a heck of a lot of counter weights on that thing.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics