CG5 -ASGT Index Marks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wsuriano

wsuriano

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

I just received a CG5-ASGT and set it up indoors just to make sure everyting was there and worked. So far, so good. One questions though. I can tell already that I am going to lose the index stickers before too long. They're not stuck on very well. What have you all done to preserve the RA and Dec index marks?

Bill

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

I just received a CG5-ASGT and set it up indoors just to make sure everyting was there and worked. So far, so good. One questions though. I can tell already that I am going to lose the index stickers before too long. They're not stuck on very well. What have you all done to preserve the RA and Dec index marks?

Bill

Mine ain't fallen off over four years of use. If they look like they are gonna depart, though, a little glue will hold 'em. Superglue or your choice.

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:53 AM

The stickers aren't always accurately placed anyway. The main thing is to align the dec axis in the vertical plane with the OTA parallel to the RA axis. The only thing this does is make going to the first alignment stars more accurate.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

The stickers aren't always accurately placed anyway. The main thing is to align the dec axis in the vertical plane with the OTA parallel to the RA axis. The only thing this does is make going to the first alignment stars more accurate.

True, but what really matters even more than that is just starting from the same position each and every single time.

#5 donsinger1

donsinger1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

True, but what really matters even more than that is just starting from the same position each and every single time.

I agree, essentially make your own in the counterweight down position for the shaft and point north, mark the DEC and RA axis with a sharpie and off you go.

In fact, I have found that few of such marks, even latitude scales, are accurate. I have polar aligned my CGEM many times, including a good Drift Alignment, and my latitude scale shows me at 43.5deg N, not the 45.3 I am actually at in Portland.

#6 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:40 AM

Follow Luigi's advice above, then put a piece of yellow electrical tape across the joining line and slice through the line with a razor. Perfect index alignment everytime.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics