• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DrBuck

DrBuck

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Susanville, No. Calif.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

I have had the CGE for around 2 months. twice now, after having it work just fine for about an hour, it just locked up and none of the buttons would work. I turned it off and on several times and the word"initializing" would try to appear and then disappear. I checked the voltage at the plug at 14.9 volts. Spread the center pin on the mount and checked the two phillips screws. I plugged the HC into an Aux port, but finally had to manually move the scope to Home position. Turned it off and went to bed. The next morniing I turned it on and it worked fine. The next evening it locked up while trying to do an alignment. Nothing worked so I fired up the NEX remote on the computer and started an alignment with that and the HC started workiing fine and did so for the next 3 hours. Any ideas? :p

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

I have had the CGE for around 2 months. twice now, after having it work just fine for about an hour, it just locked up and none of the buttons would work. I turned it off and on several times and the word"initializing" would try to appear and then disappear. I checked the voltage at the plug at 14.9 volts. Spread the center pin on the mount and checked the two phillips screws. I plugged the HC into an Aux port, but finally had to manually move the scope to Home position. Turned it off and went to bed. The next morniing I turned it on and it worked fine. The next evening it locked up while trying to do an alignment. Nothing worked so I fired up the NEX remote on the computer and started an alignment with that and the HC started workiing fine and did so for the next 3 hours. Any ideas? :p

Hard to say. Did you check the HC cord connector, too? If not, do so. I'd also do a "reset to factory defaults."

#3 DrBuck

DrBuck

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

Rod------are you talking about the connection on the pier or the connection on the HC itself. I wiggeled everything around that I could and got no response. Its odd that it would start working again after I used the Nexremote.!!

#4 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Danville, California

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:18 AM

Dr Buck:

Does it lock up in both RA and Dec directions? One common failure are the limiting switches breaking contact. I had this problem, which was periodic and drove me nuts. When I found the problem I fixed it by depressing the switches so they make contact better.

Daryl

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

Rod------are you talking about the connection on the pier or the connection on the HC itself. I wiggeled everything around that I could and got no response. Its odd that it would start working again after I used the Nexremote.!!

I'm talkin' both...but since you wiggled it...that may indicate it's not the problem.

Why did it start workin' after you used NR? You got me pardner, but that may indicate some kind of a software/firmware goat-rodeo rather than hardware problems.

Keep watchin', see what happens.

#6 DrBuck

DrBuck

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

Dr Buck:

Does it lock up in both RA and Dec directions? One common failure are the limiting switches breaking contact. I had this problem, which was periodic and drove me nuts. When I found the problem I fixed it by depressing the switches so they make contact better.

Daryl

Daryl, The whole hand controller stops working completely. Nothing works at all. Had to shut it down and move it manually to close the OBS roof. :(

#7 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:58 AM

If the computer/nexRemote worked and 'flushed' the bug - my vote would be a button sticking on the HC or the cord? I've had my handset lockup on occasion, maybe 2-3 times - but never close together and I often let it dangle not in the holder. Had to power down but all was well when powered back up.

I am interested in this switch problem as I've read about it several times... what are the symptoms? are they always the same or does it vary depending on the when and where?

#8 DrBuck

DrBuck

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

I am interested in this switch problem as I've read about it several times... what are the symptoms? are they always the same or does it vary depending on the when and where?

The symptoms have been the same each time. Basically nothing on the HC works. When it is powered down and then up again, the word "initializing" tries to appear, but then the LCD window goes blank, but with the backlight on. I too have left it hanging rather than putting it in its holder. I will have to break that habit. :rainbow:

#9 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:24 AM

The limiting switch problem is common, and is simply a matter of the contacts not coming together well enough to make the circuit to the motor. It only happened with the RA circuit, and when it happens the motor simply gets no current. I just used a screwdriver to pinch the switch arm and it seems to have solved the problem. The limiting switch rides on the gear sidewall, where a groove causes the switch to open, breaking the contact and preventing a scope crash. This is not the problem the good Dr. is having, though.

Daryl

#10 DrBuck

DrBuck

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

Daryl Thats interesting, I will have to look for those switches even tho it might not be the problem.

#11 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:16 AM

Dr Buck:

I really am suspecting you have a faulty HC. If there is a way to check it with another scope, such as at a scope dealer, then you would know. I'm sure Celestron would replace it.

Daryl

#12 DrBuck

DrBuck

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

Dr Buck:

I really am suspecting you have a faulty HC. If there is a way to check it with another scope, such as at a scope dealer, then you would know. I'm sure Celestron would replace it.

Daryl

Daryl, thanks for your input-----I think you are right. If the problem was in the Electronics tower, I don't think the Nexremote would have worked either. I will run this past Celestron!! thanks

#13 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:02 AM

Dr Buck;

If you end up needing to buy a new HC, Starizona.com has them in stock at the same price as Celestron and deliver quickly. I just got one from them because I had an older version that was not flash programmable.

Daryl

#14 DrBuck

DrBuck

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

Dr Buck;

If you end up needing to buy a new HC, Starizona.com has them in stock at the same price as Celestron and deliver quickly. I just got one from them because I had an older version that was not flash programmable.

Daryl

-------Daryl, Thanks, I sent it back to Celestron and they said they would either repair it or send me a new one. I only bought it In January!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics