Photo

Ugly counterweight

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

Those who go out to the dark-sky site knows the pain of forgetting the counterweights.:foreheadslap: Here's an improv: One of those thin cinderblocks with the three holes through it. I had to hammer open up the thinner slit on one side of the middle hole to fit the 1" shaft. Three heavy clamps provided the additional weight. I managed to image half of the Markarian chain with one meridian flip and go south to do M-8 with the ST-2000 camera described below. I also imaged the Venus occultation as well.
Joe.

Attached Files

#2 Ted Judah

Ted Judah

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:41 PM

Nice going MacGyver!

#3 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

Nice going MacGyver!

That's us. You'll know to have alternatives with you or onsite. You'll be forgetting something! I seen others use rocks! Welcome to Cloudy Nights!
Joe.

#4 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:48 AM

I've hung a soft cooler with beers in it off the end of my counterweight shaft. Problem was, as the night wore on the counterweight kept getting lighter.

#5 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

I've hung a soft cooler with beers in it off the end of my counterweight shaft. Problem was, as the night wore on the counterweight kept getting lighter.

Sound's like too much plan B :roflmao:
Joe.

#6 Mittag55

Mittag55

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

Ugly!!!!yes but inovative and cheap ..wonder what the wife will say to me when i start boring 1 inch holes in her round patio stones. :roflmao:

#7 DrGolds

DrGolds

Mariner 2

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

Refill the bottles with "processed beer" and you should be fine ;)

-Jeff

#8 Coromandel

Coromandel

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

Refill the bottles with "processed beer" and you should be fine ;)

-Jeff

Wow, you would want to be careful there. If that's American beer, you could accidentally wind up drinking all of the reprocessed stuff again without even realising it! :grin:

#9 Moggi1964

Moggi1964

Vendor - Astro Laugh

• Vendors

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

Actually, most of it comes reprocessed in the first place. There hasn't been a fresh brew in about 11 years. You should never have kicked us Brit's out, see what happened :)

Joe, astronomic ingenuity at its best. You could paint it black and it'll think its a counterwieght just like the others.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics