42 replies to this topic

#26 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chapel Hill, NC

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

Hey Daryl,

I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about Saturn. I found the banding to be quite subdued this year compared to a few years ago. My collimation seems pretty good. But we've had a lot of humidity in the air here and the transparency isn't great, so maybe I'm just losing detail to dear old Earth's atmosphere. Or maybe the bands reorganize with the seasons?

Yes, I did a "reset to factory settings". I still need to do the PEC and finish fine tuning the polar alignment. But I'll get there eventually. I've got 225 x 1 min images of the Leo Triplet to process as my "first light" test with the new pier/ mount set up. I can't wait to get to the computer! Wish me luck.

Cheers
Tim

#27 DrBuck

DrBuck

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Susanville, No. Calif.

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

- it takes either dedication or lost grey matter to engage in this crazy hobby!

I agree with that. Bring your telescopes to Eagle lake this summer. We can go to the darkest site that you have ever seen. Its on top of Dow Butte where a lookout used to be. Still has the concrete pad and foundation after climbing up some stairs. A full 360 degrees of dark skies with no smog !!! :jump: Yes I'm serious. Danville isn't that far!!!!

#28 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Danville, California

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:38 AM

Tim:

I would like to see your results. I am about to embark on my first CCD imaging with the CGE. Just got all the equipment together to work with my SBIG ST8-XE and have loadd up my new notebook with all the software I need. Need to take the plunge!

Daryl

#29 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:50 AM

Dr Buck:

I would very much like to check out the Eagle Lake dark sky site. Perhaps this spring we could get together. Go to my profile when you get a chance and email me. We can set something up within the next few months. I would probably just bring my DM6 and a few scopes.

Daryl

#30 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

Hey Daryl,

I've posted my "first light" image in the DSLR forum here .

All in all, things went quite well. The image needs more work but the mount behaved quite well. Once I get to know it a bit better, train the PEC, and get the autoguider working, I think it will be a fantastic piece of equipment.

Cheers
Tim

#31 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

I've posted my "first light" image in the DSLR forum here .

Pretty good. I assume that you took 1 min unguided subs and the polar alignment was done with the built-in polar alignment routine. Is that right?

#32 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

I assume that you took 1 min unguided subs and the polar alignment was done with the built-in polar alignment routine. Is that right?

Yes... that's right... sorry, I should have said that.

#33 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

I made myself an eyepiece tray for the CGE tripod. A lot better then the stock tripod spreader.

Attached Files

#34 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

I made myself an eyepiece tray for the CGE tripod. A lot better then the stock tripod spreader.

Very nice... Hey - Randy... guess what I *just* found out back (I was cleaning up and getting my laptop sorted for permanent installation in the warm room and all the other bits/bobs needed to get ready for permanent mounted AP CCD...)

... yep, the plastic CGE spreader for YOUR CGE... if you want it let me know and we can arrange something...

but, your nice wooden one is way nicer and more functional...

:lol:

Clear enough skies

#35 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:37 PM

Very nice... Hey - Randy... guess what I *just* found out back (I was cleaning up and getting my laptop sorted for permanent installation in the warm room and all the other bits/bobs needed to get ready for permanent mounted AP CCD...)

... yep, the plastic CGE spreader for YOUR CGE... if you want it let me know and we can arrange something...

but, your nice wooden one is way nicer and more functional...

:lol:

Clear enough skies

Can you say Murphy's Law? lol.. Sent ya a PM.

#36 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:35 AM

Tim:

Very nice pic! Nice round stars, good focus, needs a bit of stretching and background enhancing, but you have a great raw image there. You also remind me that I need to mail my XT for a chip mod. Not altering my XSi, which would be nice with the preview feature and much larger LED screen, but don't want to give up some expensive lenses that won't work with a clip-in filter. Looks like you are good to go now.

#37 xgamma

xgamma

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Rockland County, NY

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:28 PM

I've also had to perform a factory reset from time to time. I updated both the hand control and motor control firmware, and it worked flawlessly for a while, so I thought the problem was solved, but not the case. My CGE is an early one with upgraded hand controller. I'm wondering if newer ones (last few years), both CGE and CGE Pro, have the same issue. Anyone?

#38 DrBuck

DrBuck

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:21 PM

After waiting for a couple of months for my cge to come back from Celestron, I have finally come up with a causative scenario for the failing hand controller symdrome. I used the power cord supplied by celestron and plugged it into a power supply with a cigarette lighter adapter. The power supply was the one I used with the Meade LX 200 for several years without problem, but it only put out one amp. I now have the 2.5 amp power supply made by celestron for the CGE. ------------Haven't had any problems so far-----I'll keep my fingers crossed..!!

#39 DrBuck

DrBuck

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

Daryl sorry about the delay, but I have had my CGE at the factory for several months and am just now starting to use it again. Had to upgrade the power supply to a celestron 2.5 amp from the one I was using. Hopefully it will work fine now. ---------its true that this hobby does take dedication!!

#40 xgamma

xgamma

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

I've used both a battery as well as the Celestron AC adapter, and the power source did not seem to make a difference.

#41 DrBuck

DrBuck

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:10 PM

xgamma-----I don't think there would be any difference between the Celestron AC adapter and a 12 volt battery. The problem with the ac adapter that I was using was that it was only rated at 1 amp-----not 2.5 like the Celestron Unit

#42 xgamma

xgamma

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

DrBuck -- Exactly my point! I experienced the hand controller problem even with the AC adapter. My experience has been that every so often (a few times a year) the hand controller seems to lose its bearings (as if the time and/or lat./long. were way off), and the only way to correct it is to perform a factory reset.

#43 DrBuck

DrBuck

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

i haven't had that problem--------yet. Mine would just lock up like a computer crash and nothing would work. Then after turning it off and back on again, it would only come up with the word "initializing" and that would disappear after 2 seconds. Now that I am using the 2.5 amp power supply, that hasn't happened again--------hopefully

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics