• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#26 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:33 PM

I'm not sure this is the right place to mention this, and I have no stake whatsoever in promoting any company or product, but a few weeks ago I lucked into spending an entire evening with a handful of other telescopers, looking through the prototype of the Explore Scientific 14mm. We compared it to my 13mm ethos in several scopes and I have to admit that I came away preferring the Explore Scientific eyepiece in one important aspect- it's "physiological" interface- meaning it was simply easier for me to see through.

I've found the ethos requires me to keep my eye centered over a sort of "sweet-spot", and I get kidney beaning if I hover off that spot. This is most apparent when trying to scan the entire 100 degree FOV, which requires a lot of roving eye movement (yes, if you haven't yet looked through a 100 degree FOV, you really can't take it all in simply looking straight ahead). I'm fine with it now, it only took a bit of time to get used to, so I hardly think about anymore, and my Ethos is definitely my most used and beloved EP.

However, my first impression looking through the Explore Scientific was that the field seemed "flatter"- and I realized that I didn't have to stay on a "sweet spot" to search view the entire 100 degree FOV. Scanning the FOV was simply easier.

That is my impression also.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics