• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

My first ever white on black and my first ever post of one. I am impressed with the Solarmax 60 (built March 2009). This is first time I recall seeing the Spicules on the edge so clearly compared to the SM40 I was using. I also like how it is handling high magnifications (of course seeing is still the limiting factor).

Attached Files

#2 Sol

Sol

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Powys, Wales, UK

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

Great record of the main activity today !

Mark

#3 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Terrific! Congrats on such a great recording of your observations.

#4 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Thank you
I hope practice makes perfect... I have a long way to go!

#5 darkstar528

darkstar528

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Hodgenville, Kentucky, USA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

Great sketch and presentation!!!!!!!

#6 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

Here is another. I believe this is area B from the first one. I am using cheap black 24# paper that I got off the net and cut into 8.5 x 5.5 inch (21 x 14cm) rectangles. The pencils are some Conte PRISMACOLOR pencils I got off eBay for a song.

Few things I am learning though:
  • Using cheap paper, you have to be careful erasing... it'll crease fast
  • The white pencils are hard to erase...
  • The white pencils are hard to smooth. Once down, it's down. It could be the paper... but fingers and blurring tools don't do much
  • I make a sketch of the disk and get west 'about' right. You can see from Titing Sun, I was not exactly right.
  • Don't read more detail into the sketch than I meant. :) Because the pencils create hard narrow lines that should be more blurred.

I welcome criticism. Should I post to the sketching group? Or is that a no-no?

Both were scanned on a Epson CX4800 all-in-one into Photoshop CS and de-speckled, contrast enhanced and erasure blurs removed.
Best wishes

Attached Files

#7 cuwohler

cuwohler

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: N 53.1 E 10.0

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

Very nice sketches, Jeff!

#8 juergens

juergens

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: N: 53.40 E: 12.21 Gnevsdorf (G)

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

Excellent sketches!

CS
Matthias

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

Jeff,

A very good observational sketch. :applause: It is well rendered and you have included all the important information, e.g., date/time in UT, position angle, telescope and magnification, conditions, etc.

Here is another. I believe this is area B from the first one. I am using cheap black 24# paper that I got off the net and cut into 8.5 x 5.5 inch (21 x 14cm) rectangles. The pencils are some Conte PRISMACOLOR pencils I got off eBay for a song.

If you are not satisfied with your materials, consider buying from a supplier like Dick Blick. You can get all the quality tools you need and still not spend as much as one good eyepiece.

Few things I am learning though:
[LIST] [*]Using cheap paper, you have to be careful erasing... it'll crease fast [*]The white pencils are hard to erase... [*]The white pencils are hard to smooth. Once down, it's down. It could be the paper... but fingers and blurring tools don't do much

I have found that a white vinyl eraser does a pretty good job of erasing white pencil.

I welcome criticism. Should I post to the sketching group? Or is that a no-no?

By all means, post to the sketching forum. The many talented people there will be happy to answer your questions about sketching. You can always include a link to your actual observation here in the Solar forum.

Good luck and keep sketching!

#10 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. :jump:

I have to admit I stole 99% of the Sketch format from a thread Ms Rix started. :o That thread I believe is linked in the pinned threads of the sketching group.

I'll look into better paper... and some Conte crayons perhaps... I am reading the book Ms Rix contributed to as well as many sites and the Sketching forum. I want to learn to sketch DSOs as well. I have been sketching the Sun for a few months on white paper. I like the black paper with white as I seem to be able to reflect better what I see than with graphite on white... if that makes any sense. :smirk:

There is a lot to learn. ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics