• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:21 PM

Hi all. My heq5 mount has 2 ways to move in RA and DEC - manual (RA and DEC locks released) and using the motors through hand controller (RA and DEC locks tightened). When i release the RA and DEC locks to point the scope to the object i want do i disconnect the motors from the RA and DEC axis? If so this means that during the manual slew my mount is not tracking? If so do this mean that my polar alignment is gradually shifting while i search for ojects?

#2 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

A few points to make:

1. Polar alignment is not related to the RA/DEC motor positions; it is the alignment of the polar axis of the mount to Polaris, which is set physically. This controls the tracking precision.

2. The HEQ5 is equivalent to the Orion Sirius; the Atlas is equivalent to the Synta/Skywatcher EQ6.

3. Loosening the clutches to move the the OTA loses any stellar alignment. The stellar alignment is based on the stepper motor counters related to the OTA position; once you loosen the OTA and move it manually without a link to the motors, any stellar alignment is lost as well as the hand controller knowledge of the tube alignment for Park/Home purposes. To maintain the GOTO capability once the mount has been aligned to 1, 2, or 3 stars, the clutches can't be released; otherwise, the star alignment needs to be redone. All movement must be done with the hand controller to keep the stellar aligment. But tracking precision will only depend on the physical polar alignment, not related to the star alignment so it isn't affected by releasing the clutches.

#3 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the info. Yes heq5 is sirius not atlas. My mistake. My mount is pure heq5 and does not have goto or the stepper mottors so this is not a problem. About the polar alignment - i said that because polaris is moving around the north celestail pole but now i see that actually the polar axis of mount is pointed to the NCP and not polaris and NCP is not moving so my polar alignment should not be affected. Thanks again for the help.

#4 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

Sounds like you've got it under control! Good luck.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics