Photo

First posted sketches - Sun 25-Apr-2009 (UT)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

So I have posted my first few public sketches in a thread over in the Solar Forum. Here I am linking to them which I am told is the way to go.

The thread is here. In it I explain a little about my tools and some lessons I am already learning about them. I welcome comments and (especially) critiques. The pencils I used are too hard to blur so do not assume each stroke is detail I saw. Especially in the second sketch. I resisted doing a blur in Photoshop.

Sketch one:

Posted Image

And two:

Posted Image

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

Jeffrey,

These are nice solar sketches. :cool: I find these H-alpha sketches fascinating to look at.

Frank :)

#3 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

Jeffrey

Very nice solar sketching :bow: :bow: :bow: Welcome to the sketching forum!

I see that you are using a Solar Max 60. I envey you as I only have the 40mm Coronado mounted to a Meade ETX 60mm refractor. You are seeing much more detail than I.

I always recommend that all astronomers at least see the sun for a few hours on some active days through an h-alpha. The dynamism of our local star is captivating to say the least!

I look forward to seeing your next solar sketches,

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Sketch Gallery

#4 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

Thanks to all. Because of my work schedule, weekends are pretty much all I can manage for sketching - I don't think I want to backpack the scope to work on the train (yes we have trains in SoCal ;) ). However in another few weeks Sunset here in Southern CA should happen late enough to steal a sketch during the week... if seeing allows. We see...

Thanks again for the kind words

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:48 AM

Jeffrey,

Excellent observations of solar prominences along the solar limb. They appear very delicate but powerful. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics