Photo

New tripod or new mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 deezdrama

deezdrama

Vanguard

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

got my 120ed pro recentlly and suprisingly its not too bad on the voyager mount. But when focusing the vibration times are too much- Ive seen that oberwerk wooden tripods are on sale right now and wondering if

A. they are taller, and...
B. If it would be substantialy more stable with one of these wooden tripods? Or any reccomendation on another tripod that would make this setup more stable?

Also was thinking of just getting a cg5 or atlas.
Dont really have the money for the atlas and sold my cg-5 several months ago.

SO... I would like to keep the setup lightweight and portable...
Having a hard time deciding on wether to just get a cg5
or getting a new tripod for the voyager...
Or are there any other alt-az mounts I could consider?

#2 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:12 AM

Well, I love my CG-5ASGT, but in the interest of lightness, I think the wooden legs are the way to go on your Voyager.

#3 94bamf

94bamf

Vanguard

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:16 AM

I have never seen a Voyager mount in person to compare, but I have one of the Oberwerk wooden tripods. I don't consider the Oberwerk tripod to be real heavy duty, but it might work fine for that application. I will say the tripod part of a CG-5(tubular steel legs) is WAY more stable than the Oberwerk tripod.

Ken

#4 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

You can try the Oberewerk blem, but you'll have to replace the 3/8"-16 bolt with a M10. Personally, I would take a Universal Astronomics Unistar mounted on the Oberwerk blem over the V'ger. ;)

I'd also try some antivibe pads and a electronic focuser to help with the vibs on your current setup.

Just my :penny::penny: ;)

#5 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

got my 120ed pro recentlly and suprisingly its not too bad on the voyager mount. But when focusing the vibration times are too much- Ive seen that oberwerk wooden tripods are on sale right now and wondering if

A. they are taller, and...
B. If it would be substantialy more stable with one of these wooden tripods? Or any reccomendation on another tripod that would make this setup more stable?

Also was thinking of just getting a cg5 or atlas.
Dont really have the money for the atlas and sold my cg-5 several months ago.

SO... I would like to keep the setup lightweight and portable...
Having a hard time deciding on wether to just get a cg5
or getting a new tripod for the voyager...
Or are there any other alt-az mounts I could consider?

Hi Dan,

I had a Voyager for awhile and found it to very nice with 80-90mm scopes or small cats but I also found that vibration was excessive with longer refractors such as your 120ED. The real weak point IMO is the tripod. If you are handy in the woodworking department you could easily ditch the aluminum legs, keeping the hub and spreader, and fashion a set of heavy duty legs that should really improve the function of the mount. I did a similar thing with an Orion Astroview tripod (see pic) and it's absolutely like a rock. Also use these same legs with a TV Gibalter hub.

I also have an Oberwerk that I think is a nice lightweight tripod that you could adapt the Voyager to but rebuilding the AT tripod would be a more solid platform in my estimation.

If you wanted to consider another mount that would be a step up, you might look at the Tak Teegul (Lapides). I've used these for years and love 'em. And there's also the DMs and the HH if you didn't mind stratospheric prices! :lol:

Phil

Attached Files

#6 ottovonrotton

ottovonrotton

Vostok 1

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

Hello all, I just got my Oberwerk blem, it is a nice tripod, but for sure won't hold an atlas, I was thinking an old meade starfider eq. I have but not a chance. The top of the tripod is the weak point as its moulded plastic (but very strong). If you want a better choice try the Universal Astronomics heavy duty tripod as its deck is metal and will hold more. Now do I go porta2 or voyager....Hmm

#7 DennisF

DennisF

Apollo

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

If you're set on the Voyager mount, I think the Oberwerk will improve stability significantly. Wood does have better damping characteristics than aluminum. You can make it even better by doing one of two modifications. Make an EP tray that stiffens up the tripod spreader or better yet a mod like Phil's that locks in the tripod legs. That's the upper EP tray in his photo.

I'd also suggest you consider replacing the Voyager mount with something more robust. Phil's Teegul suggestion was a good one. I've been happy with mine since I got it a few months ago, but there are plenty of others to choose from. At the very least, you could make an EP tray to act as a counterweight which is cheaper.

#8 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

I use an Orion AZ mount. It'll hold either or both of my 15 lb OTAs very stablely. The tripod has 1.75" stainless legs. It does take a bit of simple tuning to make it shine. Of course a CG5ASGT is also winner with these OTAs.

#9 Terrance

Terrance

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

The Voyager mount head will fit on a CG-5 tripod, and the Oberwerk would be taller than the Voyager tripod--this per an earlier thread under title "AT Voyager Altazimuth Mount anyone?" which has pictures of Voyager head on Oberwerk. (sorry, didn't record URL)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics