Photo

Polar Axis Finder for CG-5 (recommended or not)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Framis

Framis

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:57 AM

Question: I am a newbie and have many questions... :grin:

The one that is jumping out at this moment is to install a Polar Axis Finder for CG-5 or not?

Will this make my life easier, or cause me to gray prematurely?

-Doug

#2 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:21 AM

The one that is jumping out at this moment is to install a Polar Axis Finder for CG-5 or not?

Hi Doug,

Assuming you have a version 4.x controller, one that supports firmware updates, install the latest 4.16 firmware and use the built-in All-Star polar alignment routine. With my CGE, I get fantastic polar alignment a whole lot easier than with a polar axis scope.

#3 Framis

Framis

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

Hi Doug,

Assuming you have a version 4.x controller, one that supports firmware updates, install the latest 4.16 firmware and use the built-in All-Star polar alignment routine. With my CGE, I get fantastic polar alignment a whole lot easier than with a polar axis scope.

I am not sure. All I know is that it is the Advanced GT, and the person that I got it from said that he updated the firmware last year...

#4 bdjeep

bdjeep

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

Don't bother with it. For visual use, polar alignment isn't that critical, just get it close. For imaging, the polar scope wont get you close enough.

#5 Framis

Framis

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

Don't bother with it. For visual use, polar alignment isn't that critical, just get it close. For imaging, the polar scope wont get you close enough.

Fair enough... I was actually looking to get my feet wet in AP. I just its going to be a learning experience... :tonofbricks:

Thanks for the input.

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

I am not sure. All I know is that it is the Advanced GT, and the person that I got it from said that he updated the firmware last year...

Doug, if you want to figure exactly what you've got and what you're options are have a look at Mike's site www.nexstarsite.com The info there will take you through how to figure out exactly what firmware you have and how to load new version if desired/required. There are also some very useful troubleshooting tips in case of future problems.

I also agree that v4.15 or 4.16 and the All Star Polar Routine is the way to compared to buying a polar alignment scope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics