• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: StonyHill Observatory

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

I was able to run a few PP runs on the mount in between cloud banks last night. Although the mount falls within C's specs I would like to get it lower. I tried PEC but for some reason the PE gets worse using PEC. It doesn't help that the Pro is not yet supported by ASCOM or PP so I had to manually plug in the numbers. Not bad. Pretty smooth. We'll see how good I can get it.

On another note. What would be the cuase of a "V" when calibrating using MaximDL? I cannot figure it out. I have messed with balance, backlash compensation etc and I still get the "V". I have even moved the camera around and still no good. Even my Atlas would make a perfect "L" when calibrating. So what am I missing guys?

Thanks and CS's

Attached Files

#2 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

Another

Attached Files

#3 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

The Maxim "V"

Attached Files

#4 EricCCD

EricCCD

Vanguard

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

Hi Bobby,

What camera are you using? The Maxim "V-calibration" issue usually occurs when another star enters the guider's FOV and confuses the software. I am guessing from the screen shot that no autodark was applied to the calibration image. Try running the guider with Auto-Dark set to On.

HTH,
Eric

#5 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

Eric,

Using a Starshoot Autoguider and TMB80SS for guiding. Autodark, No dark doesn't matter. I pick the star, Maxim picks it, same deal. It's driving me nuts because the PE is smooth enough that guiding should be a cake walk but I still get some funky guide corrections and I think it's due to the calibration issue I am seeing.

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

I still get some funky guide corrections and I think it's due to the calibration issue I am seeing.

Sure. A bad calibration will result in bad guiding. I've only seen patterns that far off when, as Eric mentioned, Maxim loses the guide star and picks another (or a hot pixel). If that's not happening then you have far too little motion in one axis. Have you diddled with cal time? If increased time doesn't change the shape then there's a problem with the guide hardware.

#7 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:40 AM

John,

I was hoping you'd chime in. I upped the cal time on both axis' to 30 seconds last night and still see the same issue. When you say guide hardware do you mean the mount or Camera/cable ? I have not tried it with PHD but will tonight if the forecast holds. I don't think it's a mount as the PE looks pretty smooth to me.

Thanks

#8 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:03 AM

When you say guide hardware do you mean the mount or Camera/cable ?

Any of the above - a bad guide input on the mount, a bad guide output on the camera, a bad cable (and I've dealt with all of the above at one time or another) , or...

You can eliminate all of the above by switching to ASCOM guiding - if that works, then you can troubleshoot the guide port setup. I believe that Maxim supports that, but if not, then PhD does.

#9 Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

It doesn't help that the Pro is not yet supported by ASCOM

The ASCOM driver will work with the CGE Pro.

The Pro might not be in the huge list of scopes but that doesn't matter because with the recent HCs the driver can read all it needs from the HC, just set the COM port - and the optics if you need them.

Chris

#10 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

Chris,

It doesn't read everything. You need to manually go in and enter the period time or calculate it from the number of teeth on the worm. The pro uses a 6 minute period. It's a little thing but you cannot turn PEC on or off from Pempro like I could my CGE so the updated ASCOM is a bit important in some instances.

#11 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

It doesn't help that the Pro is not yet supported by ASCOM or PP so I had to manually plug in the numbers.

Did you check if PECTool was updated for the CGEPro? Are you guiding through the ASCOM driver?

#12 Strgazr27

Strgazr27

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

Alph,

I just installed the latest version of PECTool and the Pro is supported. I also just installed the latest MC software. I had V 6.07 and updated to 6.09 . I don't think it will help any but I like my stuff up to date. I'm guding through Maxim using the Starshoot autoguider and using "Guider Relays" under settings. What benefit would I see using ASCOM or would this just help narrow down the cuase?

#13 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:40 PM

What benefit would I see using ASCOM or would this just help narrow down the cuase?

I suggested it only as a means of isolating the problem source. Given a choice, I'll always use an autoguide port. One cable, one setup - no matter what mount I happen to be using at the time.

#14 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

What benefit would I see using ASCOM or would this just help narrow down the cuase?

I was trying to understand where the ASCOM driver enters the equation.

#15 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

I was trying to understand where the ASCOM driver enters the equation.

Maxim guiding was failing to calibrate using the AG port. Switching to ASCOM would eliminate that port and would thus help to isolate the problem.

#16 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

Maxim guiding was failing to calibrate using the AG port. Switching

I would also try PHD guiding and PECTool as an alternative way to measure PEC.

#17 Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

Chris,

It doesn't read everything. You need to manually go in and enter the period time or calculate it from the number of teeth on the worm. The pro uses a 6 minute period. It's a little thing but you cannot turn PEC on or off from Pempro like I could my CGE so the updated ASCOM is a bit important in some instances.

These things aren't in the ASCOM specifications so can't be available. If there's a good reason to upgrade the specification then you need to lobby ASCOM for it.

Chris

#18 scubabri

scubabri

Vostok 1

• Loc: Hemet, CA

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:47 AM

try inverting the PE curve and then apply it to the scope with PEMPro, I bet you that will fix your issues with PE getting worse.

I'm also using a SSAG with Maxim, I have no problems with calibration.

If you post your settings maybe we can compare notes and see why you aren't working while I am.

b

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics