• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:59 PM

I want to fool around with Pempro's Polar Align program, but I have a question. Pempro states to point the scope south and place it near the celestial equator. My southern exposure is a phalanx of pine trees. :mad:

I can point south, but because of the pines, it's above the CE by a substantial amount. How will this affect the aligment routine?

Thanks! David

#2 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

• Loc: Northeast, FL

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

Hey David, I'm going to suggest that you pose this question on CCDWare's forum if you can't get an answer here.

I hope Pempro will work for you. I got it to help me with my AP1200, which IMHO has a pathetic polar scope. Pempro does a suberb job and is my tool of choice.

#3 Chris Curran

Chris Curran

Viking 1

• Loc: Brandon, FL

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

David:

??? You read the documentation? :) Can you see where your meridian and celestial equator intersect? If so you're golden. If not, may I suggest this solution: click here

Psst: I assume you know that *you* don't have to point that scope - PEMPro will do it for you.

Jax:

Pathetic? Hmmm... Well, it's not as accurate as my Tak PS, but, it's not as complicated either. IMHO, it works very well for its intended purpose. A Shaker would call that "perfect". :)

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

David:

??? You read the documentation? :) Can you see where your meridian and celestial equator intersect? If so you're golden. If not, may I suggest this solution: click here

Psst: I assume you know that *you* don't have to point that scope - PEMPro will do it for you.

Jax:

Pathetic? Hmmm... Well, it's not as accurate as my Tak PS, but, it's not as complicated either. IMHO, it works very well for its intended purpose. A Shaker would call that "perfect". :)

Very good, Chris! :lol: I can easily see where the CE and the meridian intersect; it's about 2/3 of the way up a rather tall pine. I'm probably the only person that built a roll-off observatory that has a roof that rolls off to the south. :question: My southern horizon (that's an oxymoron) is that bad.

And no, I didn't know that Pempro will point the scope. Of course, it can't see the pines, either. I was hoping to try it out this weekend, but the weather doesn't look too promising.

David

#5 Chris Curran

Chris Curran

Viking 1

• Loc: Brandon, FL

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

Something else to keep in mind... Just because a star in "in the trees" doesn't mean you can't get to it with your scope. Polaris in impossible for me to see from my driveway - unless the wind is blowing... :)

#6 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

Funny that you mentioned that. I got my 250 in the winter, well, winter for SE Looziana, but there's a tree that blocks my view of Polaris when the leaves are on it (it's not a pine). But I can find Polaris when the leaves are off....or when it's windy. The only problem is that it blinks in and out.

I did the alignment using the iterative method which seems to have worked just fine. But it's been about 6 months, so I thought I'd do it again just to ensure the alignment is still good to go.

David

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics