CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pempro Polar align...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:59 PM

I want to fool around with Pempro's Polar Align program, but I have a question. Pempro states to point the scope south and place it near the celestial equator. My southern exposure is a phalanx of pine trees. :mad:

I can point south, but because of the pines, it's above the CE by a substantial amount. How will this affect the aligment routine?

Thanks! David

#2 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

Hey David, I'm going to suggest that you pose this question on CCDWare's forum if you can't get an answer here.

I hope Pempro will work for you. I got it to help me with my AP1200, which IMHO has a pathetic polar scope. Pempro does a suberb job and is my tool of choice.

#3 Chris Curran

Chris Curran

Viking 1

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

David:

??? You read the documentation? :) Can you see where your meridian and celestial equator intersect? If so you're golden. If not, may I suggest this solution: click here

Psst: I assume you know that *you* don't have to point that scope - PEMPro will do it for you.

Jax:

Pathetic? Hmmm... Well, it's not as accurate as my Tak PS, but, it's not as complicated either. IMHO, it works very well for its intended purpose. A Shaker would call that "perfect". :)

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

David:

??? You read the documentation? :) Can you see where your meridian and celestial equator intersect? If so you're golden. If not, may I suggest this solution: click here

Psst: I assume you know that *you* don't have to point that scope - PEMPro will do it for you.

Jax:

Pathetic? Hmmm... Well, it's not as accurate as my Tak PS, but, it's not as complicated either. IMHO, it works very well for its intended purpose. A Shaker would call that "perfect". :)

Very good, Chris! :lol: I can easily see where the CE and the meridian intersect; it's about 2/3 of the way up a rather tall pine. I'm probably the only person that built a roll-off observatory that has a roof that rolls off to the south. :question: My southern horizon (that's an oxymoron) is that bad.

And no, I didn't know that Pempro will point the scope. Of course, it can't see the pines, either. I was hoping to try it out this weekend, but the weather doesn't look too promising.

David

#5 Chris Curran

Chris Curran

Viking 1

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

Something else to keep in mind... Just because a star in "in the trees" doesn't mean you can't get to it with your scope. Polaris in impossible for me to see from my driveway - unless the wind is blowing... :)

#6 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

Funny that you mentioned that. I got my 250 in the winter, well, winter for SE Looziana, but there's a tree that blocks my view of Polaris when the leaves are on it (it's not a pine). But I can find Polaris when the leaves are off....or when it's windy. The only problem is that it blinks in and out.

I did the alignment using the iterative method which seems to have worked just fine. But it's been about 6 months, so I thought I'd do it again just to ensure the alignment is still good to go.

David

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics