Photo

CGE PEC retention question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 chupacabra

chupacabra

Vostok 1

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:12 AM

I've actually been running a long and girthy 50+ pound setup on an Orion Sirius and most recently an Orion Atlas mount. With proper balance, you'd be surprised at how well the Sirius handled it. The Atlas is less sensitive to balance and wind, but otherwise, performance is very similar (and disappointing) for astrophotography. So I'm looking for that next mount.

A used CGE is probably the best mount I can afford right now. I've read that it is possible to create a PEC curve and upload it into the hand controller. I'd like to hear more about what software is required for this. I'd also like to hear about any limitations to keeping this PEC curve intact. For example, is parking a requirement at the end of each session (like you must do with an Atlas and EQMOD)?

Any info would be appreciated!

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:59 AM

The CGE's PEC is permanent. No need to park, ect.
You can train it manually or with a CCD/webcam and PHD guide or any other guiding software.

#3 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

Also, the CGE stores the PEC data in the electronics pier, not the hand controller. This means that you can switch between different hand controllers, or between a physical hand controller and NexRemote, without retraining.

You can use Celestron's free PECTool software, in combination with a CCD or webcam and guiding software as above, to automate training the mount.

-Wade

#4 chupacabra

chupacabra

Vostok 1

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

Thanks for the great info guys.

#5 GerryMac

GerryMac

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:04 AM

Hi, reading the CGE manual, it's not clear whether the PEC, once record, is stored and runs continuously in the background every time I use the mount, even if it's just for visual use. Is it only replayed during an imaging session once it's manually turned on?

#6 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:24 AM

Hi, reading the CGE manual, it's not clear whether the PEC, once record, is stored and runs continuously in the background every time I use the mount, even if it's just for visual use. Is it only replayed during an imaging session once it's manually turned on?

The feature can be turned off, but there's no reason to do so. The default is to leave it on always once it's been trained.

#7 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

The default is to leave it on always once it's been trained.

Are you sure about this? PEC playback cannot work until you initialize the index on the worm. This is a manual step that you have to do after you turn on the mount.

Whenever I power on the mount for imaging, I'm in the habit of doing the initialization and then turning PEC playback on.

-Wade

#8 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

Wade could you explain how to intialize;That is one part that baffels me.Thanks for help.BOB

#9 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

The default is to leave it on always once it's been trained.

Are you sure about this? PEC playback cannot work until you initialize the index on the worm. This is a manual step that you have to do after you turn on the mount.

It's been a few years since I had a CGE, but I remember it working just like every other PPEC-equipped mount I've owned. The index position is determined by a sensor on the worm - nothing to initialize. The playback begins every time that sensor is activated (once per worm revolution). Simpler mounts equipped only with PEC do require a starting point to be established.

#10 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:55 PM

To initialize the index, you go to:

Menu->Utilities->PEC and press <Enter>.

At that point, if the index has not been initialized, you will be prompted to do so. If you hit <Enter>, then the work will quickly run to the index (you'll hear it go 'ziiiip', and the mount might move up to 2 degrees.) From there, you can then choose <Playback>, press <Enter>, choose <On> and press <Enter>.

At that point, the mount is running PEC with the trained data. This needs to be done once each time the mount is powered up.

-Wade

#11 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

Thanks Wade.BOB

#12 GerryMac

GerryMac

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

I must say that I wrote my earlier note in the expectation that some wise soul would say "yes, PEC is on all the time"; I hoped that all that would be needed to initialise it would have been the 'find switch' option upon powering -on. I guess that it's not really needed for just goto viewing, but I say that without owning any really high power oculars. Still, thanks for the benefit of your answers.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics