• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Domas

Domas

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

Hello everybody !

I'm new here so sorry if I will say something dumb :) I have one big question - will EQMOD work on the old Orion Atlas mount ? Here's the picture of it : http://www.astromart...99/624126-1.jpg . It has different controller than the new ones. I've read tons of comments and lots of people said that it won't work with 2nd "edition" Atlas mount. Tell me, is it true ? Or there is some hope that it will work ? :)I'm really comfused right now :)

Clear Skies!

Domas

#2 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

I don't believe there is a first or second edition, the question is just is it the GOTO version or not. And this mount is not GOTO. You will need to upgrade with motors and a keypad/screen hand controller to have the GOTO version, and then you can also use EQMOD.

#3 Dennis Sakva

Dennis Sakva

Apollo

• Loc: Kiev, Ukraine

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

Domas, that version will not work with EQMod. It's has completely different stepper controller board. It can be converted into either SynScan or SynTrac by replacement of controller board and steppers.

Joseph,
There are actually THREE versions of Atlas (EQ6) mounts.
1. Old. Non-goto. Will not work with EQMod
2. New. Non-Goto. Syntrack. Will work with EQMod.
3. New. Goto. SynScan. Will work with EQMod.

#4 DonR

DonR

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia, USA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

I don't believe there is a first or second edition, the question is just is it the GOTO version or not. And this mount is not GOTO. You will need to upgrade with motors and a keypad/screen hand controller to have the GOTO version, and then you can also use EQMOD.

Actually it doesn't have to be GOTO, it just needs to have the newer electronics and motors. Orion currently sells the non-GOTO Atlas that has the same electronics and motors as the GOTO version, but only the dual axis hand controller, and it will work with EQMOD.

I believe the giveaway in that photo is the absence of the autoguider port, indicating the mount has the older electronics and motors.

[edit]...Oops, I see Dennis already posted this info...[/edit]

#5 Domas

Domas

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

Thank you very much for quickly answers :)

Am, if I want to upgrade Orion Atlas "old" mount to syntrack "mode", how much it could cost? I guess, it will probably be cheaper upgrade to syntrack than upgrade to GOTO, isn't it ? :)

Thanks

#6 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

OK I stand corrected, nice to know that a laptop can convert some of these to GOTO mounts!

#7 DonR

DonR

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:48 PM

I believe I have seen the GOTO upgrade with the SynScan controller priced at about $500. Kind of expensive, but Orion's price difference on the GOTO Atlas vs. the current SynTrack version is $300, and I believe all that upgrade includes is the SynScan controller.

If you call Orion they can probably give you a quote for the upgrade price, perhaps with and without the Synscan. If their telesales rep doesn't know what you're talking about ask to speak to technical support.

#8 Domas

Domas

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:11 AM

I've just got a response from Orion . They said that GOTO controller costs 400$. But I still can't get it : if I buy this controller from Orion will it work ? Will my mount be able to find objects without any problems ? I'm talking about the controller only not the whole GOTO kit.

#9 DonR

DonR

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

No, it won't work - you need the newer motors and electronics.

I guess Orion can charge whatever they want, but $400 seems high for just the controller (I assume they are talking about just the SynScan handset). I know I have seen the whole upgrade package (SynScan, motors and electronics) priced at arount $500 in the past.

#10 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

• Loc: Everett, WA

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

Actually it doesn't have to be GOTO, it just needs to have the newer electronics and motors. Orion currently sells the non-GOTO Atlas that has the same electronics and motors as the GOTO version, but only the dual axis hand controller, and it will work with EQMOD.

Is this 100% true? I swear I asked this somewhere else and was told you have to have goto to use EQMOD. Cause I was going to buy a CGEM but figured I'd save a couple hundred and buy the NON goto Atlas and use EQMOD for goto...but was told it doesnt work that way.

Thanks for any help!

#11 DonR

DonR

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:37 AM

Is this 100% true? I swear I asked this somewhere else and was told you have to have goto to use EQMOD. Cause I was going to buy a CGEM but figured I'd save a couple hundred and buy the NON goto Atlas and use EQMOD for goto...but was told it doesnt work that way.

Thanks for any help!

It will work. Perhaps the person who told you that meant "it has to be the GOTO-capable version of the Atlas", rather than the older non-GOTO version.

If you don't have GOTO, you don't have the SynScan handset, and you will need an EQDIR module from Shoestring Astronomy (or equivalent) in order to connect the mount to a PC. With the SynScan, you can connect directly through the handset after placing the handset in "PC Direct Mode". This requires the most recent handset firmware to work properly.

#12 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

Is this 100% true?

Yep. One-hunert percent. :lol:

ALL the new mounts _are_ go-to; that is, they have go-to ready motors and motor controller. The only difference in the _new_ mounts is some ship with the go-to hc, some do not.

#13 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

New ones use
- intelligent motor controller board
- hybrid stepper motor
- low gear-down reduction spur gears
-- two flavor of handboxes (one intelligent GOTO type with LCD and star database and one simple basic type)

The "classic" one use complete different type of components. Yes, all different!

I should train myself not to use the terms like Synscan, Syntrek, GOTO, etc. since they meant different things to different people.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics