Photo

G11 Gemini Motor Stall?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Markls

Markls

Vostok 1

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:27 AM

Hi,
I am posting this in hopes someone will know what I am talking about. Are there any Gemini users in the house?

I just upgraded my G11 to Gemini and took it out to field test at a star party. Someone is saying, "Field test at a star party, in the dark?" Yes I did, or tried to do.
I started the uploading of GPS and mount type and arrived at "Telescope Alignment". When I pick a bright star and select, the hand display reads "Motor Stalled: D ". That is as far as I could get and my Gemini field test was a bust.

I brought the mount home, and the next day I removed the motors and connected the DEC/RA wires, powered up with a Pyramid power supply, recommended my Losmandy, and received the same fault code.

I interchanged DEC/RA wires, then switched motors, then wires and motors. I received the same fault each time.

I powered up with no wires attached and I get "Motor Stalled: RA Lags".

Is there anyone who can help me with this?

Thanks,
Mark

:tonofbricks:

#2 rsbfoto

rsbfoto

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

Hi,
I am posting this in hopes someone will know what I am talking about. Are there any Gemini users in the house?

I just upgraded my G11 to Gemini and took it out to field test at a star party. Someone is saying, "Field test at a star party, in the dark?" Yes I did, or tried to do.
I started the uploading of GPS and mount type and arrived at "Telescope Alignment". When I pick a bright star and select, the hand display reads "Motor Stalled: D ". That is as far as I could get and my Gemini field test was a bust.

I brought the mount home, and the next day I removed the motors and connected the DEC/RA wires, powered up with a Pyramid power supply, recommended my Losmandy, and received the same fault code.

I interchanged DEC/RA wires, then switched motors, then wires and motors. I received the same fault each time.

I powered up with no wires attached and I get "Motor Stalled: RA Lags".

Is there anyone who can help me with this?

Thanks,
Mark

:tonofbricks:

Hi,

After reading your message now I do not know which motor is where :grin: but it does not matter.

The message " Motor Stalled: D " is a clear sign of binding gears.

The message " Motor Stalled; RA lags " means that you are approaching a gear binding in the RA axis. Take your worm a little bit away from the gear and the message should not appear again, but before you tinker with the worm/gear adjustment make a test all over the RA axis movement. Go to the Limit and see if you get the message when it is tracking in sidereal rate. Then move maybe 10° and let it track again and so do it every 10°. Also check the temperature of your motor.

If you only get the message when slewing then you have a power problem. The gemini draws about 3amp when slewing in both axis at the same time at speeds maybe over 900x.

#3 NJScope

NJScope

Ranger 4

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:47 PM

Mark:

Contact Scott Losmandy immediately. He should be able to walk you through and diagnose this problem.

#4 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:44 AM

Mark:

Contact Scott Losmandy immediately. He should be able to walk you through and diagnose this problem.

I'd be embarrassed to call Scott for such a triviality.
In the vast majority of cases, this is either a worm mesh adjustment or binding spur gears. The gods look favorably upon self-starters; a simple search will find these procedures.

dan

#5 WidowMaker

WidowMaker

Catchy Title

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Im sure I cant offer anything here but i would get the same or a similar type of stalled motor error, and I was told to recheck my balance and power supply.
That did it for me. I bought the Pyramid power supply and had the wife check my balance against what she would consider balanced, and Ive not had the problem again.

You sound like you are well aware of things like that if youre able to take the thing apart, but maybe someone else might have an error like me and be able to use this.

I dont know. Wish I could help. :foreheadslap:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics