Supernova in NGC-4088

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

As many folks here know, a supernova is underway in the galaxy NGC-4088, which is located in Ursa Major and favorably placed for observation. After a bout of just plain rotten weather, I was finally able to look for both the galaxy and the supernova last weekend from a decent site. Thanks to my digital setting circles, it didn't take long to find NGC-4088 and the nearby smaller and fainter galaxy NGC-4085. The supernova was harder to locate and the galaxy appeared to be a Seyfert type galaxy with a star like nucleus. It turned out the "star like" nucleus was in fact the supernova because NGC-4088 does not normally appear this way. The drawing was made last weekend with a 9mm TMB-Super Planetary eyepiece from an airstrip to the west of Mobile, Ala. I used ordinary laser printer paper and a B pencil to make this drawing, which I later penciled in the stars with a charcoal pencil then sprayed with a fixative to prevent smearing. This was the fourth or fifth extragalactic supernova I have thus far observed, the first being the very bright one that went off in M-81 back in the early 1990's.

Taras

Attached Files

#2 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

Taras

You've rendered a beautiful sketch of this galaxy and its supernova! :bow: :bow: :bow:

As the local area astronomy club here in Portland will host a large star party for the public, away from the city about 30 miles this Saturday night, you have alerted us to experiencing this most dynamic event while it takes place in our universe. I for one will be looking for it through a large Newtonian reflector.

Thanks for sharing and posting this,

Mark

#3 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

You're welcome Mark. With a magnitude of about 13.5, it should be very easy to find with a large telescope.

Taras

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

Taras,

Very nice sketch and capture of this bright supernova in U. Major's spiral NGC 4088. These supernova events are always worth a look. We always get to see the photos; it is even nicer to see a sketch. Thanks for posting.:waytogo:

Frank :)

#5 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:21 PM

Congratulations, Taras!

Thank you for sharing your excellent sketch. :bow:

#6 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Tara,

Tremendous! Nicely captured stars and magnitudes and wonderful sketch of the galaxy itself and of SN2009dd. I want to capture this myself but lately I have begun thinking I live in Britain rather than the Great Basin.

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

Taras,

Welcome back to the forum. We all have missed your excellent observations. An excellent observation of the supernova in NGC 4088. It is a treat to observe these marvels of nature. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics