• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

Came back from NEAF very impressed with the Celestron CGEM mount. Fit and finish was first rate...the mount responded with smooth motions. I know some have had significant "teething problems" with the first group of mounts BUT I'd like to hear what more recent buyers have thought. Thanks (I'm about to put my money down and just need those last few comments to know if I should buy now or wait).

#2 Trebor777

Trebor777

Hazy

• Loc: Connecticut - U.S.

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

Also think about the Atlas EQ-G, which is a proven performer AND comes with a polar alignment scope. It's $1500. While the CGEM is a bit cheaper it doesn't have a PA scope and if you buy one, then you're paying more then the cost of the Atlas.

Something to think about...

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

I agree that the Atlas/EQ-6 is also a good mount to look at, but IMHO like the CGE (if you are using the 4.15 firmware) you don't need the polar alignment scope on the CGEM.

#4 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:51 PM

Randy - Polar Alignment scope? That's horse and buggy thinking :lol:

I have had mine since January and so far no problems at all. The GOTO performance, vibration damping times, hand controller, and low noise level are absolutely incredible compared to my old LX200.

#5 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Loc: Sonoma, Northern California

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

I don't think the op requested info on the CGE or the Atlas. I too am interested in hearing recent CGEM owners opinions if they are out there.

#6 Moggi1964

Moggi1964

Vendor - Astro Laugh

• Vendors
  • Loc: Madison. NJ. USA

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

I'm in the queue for one :)

#7 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:34 PM

Solid, accurate, and reliable. And a good looking mount too!

I am very happy with my CGEM. I've only had it out four or five nights, but they all been very productive and pleasant.
GoTo accuracy and tracking is incredible, even well past the meridian. I've gone 20 degrees past meridian imaging with no problems.
And mine sounds nothing like my CG5...

#8 AntarcticDave

AntarcticDave

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

I've had mine since early January and am very happy with it.

#9 coopfore1

coopfore1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: il

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

I got mine 1 month ago. I am very happy with it so far.I love the rt clock. No more entering time loc etc every time. No need for polar scope. The all star gets me as close as any other scope i have used with a polar scope. The go-to is really close. Set up the nextremote software tonight. It was really easy and seems to work just fine. Well, I am sitting here thinking of a complaint. Still thinking????? Make sure you purchase tru astronomics and get your discount.

#10 Doug6952

Doug6952

Apollo

• Loc: West Milford, NJ

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:41 AM

I bought mine at NEAF. Even though mine has a problem with the DEC axis (being sent to Celestron for repair) it works well. I've had it out 3-4 times since I got it. The last night that I used it I did the all star align followed by drift alignment to check it and I had no drift for at least 5 - 10 min.

#11 Greg K.

Greg K.

• Administrators
  • Loc: Clifton Park, NY

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

I'm happy with my CGEM. With 2 star align and a single calibration star I've had very accurate gotos, even if I only do a rough eyeball polar alignment.

#12 Trever

Trever

Gemini

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:38 PM

So far, it has worked great for me. But, I have only used it a few times due to bad weather every day.

#13 J_D_Metzger

J_D_Metzger

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:14 PM

I got mine about 3 months ago, I think. I use it with a C11, and I've been very happy with it. I've replaced the stock knobs with ADM versions, and replaced the stock counterweight bar with one from an SN-10 LXD75, which is a couple inches longer, so I could balance the C11 a little better...

I am a visual observer, and for my use, the GOTOs and tracking are excellent. I'll let others comment on using the mount for imaging...

#14 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:34 PM

I've been happy with mine so far, now that I have it! I've only had a few nights of astrophotography so far, but it's done pretty well. I did have one night where I had problems with my plug-in power supply losing contact (not actually coming out, but just bad contact). I'll be switching to a screw-on connector as soon as I get around to ordering one. I'll post the part number when I have a chance.

Beo

#15 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:49 AM

Another happy CGEM owner here... Solid, very accurate using tri-star align and reliable. And indeed the mount looks great in its 2 color black/orange scheme ;)

#16 Jeff55

Jeff55

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:19 AM

Well I finally purchased one and I have to say I'm very impressed with fit. finish and performance. This mount has exceeded all my expectations so thanks to everyone for giving me the confidence to buy one. Also Telescopes.com appears to have the best offers on this mount and I've found them to be an excellent (after a false start) dealer.

#17 Moggi1964

Moggi1964

Vendor - Astro Laugh

• Vendors
  • Loc: Madison. NJ. USA

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:15 PM

I'm happy with mine too.

#18 aljo

aljo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, Europe

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

Could someone post "a lot" of pictures of CGEM :)

#19 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

I've had mine a week plus one day and I'm happy with it. I've got to agree with the previous poster about the power connector. Absolute POS, comes loose all the time, ridiculous design for a cable that WILL be moving around alot. I stabilized the cable about 6" upstream from the connector on about day 3 and have not had a problem since. I'll keep watching here for the part numbers on those screw on connectors. I've also added an extention cable to the hand control and stabilized its cable on both ends. It REALLY should have a connector and not be hardwired on the controller side.
Fit and finish are mostly excellent (see focuser remarks below). The Goto function is amazing. I do a 2 star align with maybe another calibration star or two and sync to every every item I view through the night. New items often show up in the eye piece, almost always within the finder scope and have rarely been outside the finder. My focuser has a 'tight' spot in it. It doesn't affect performance but it ought to be smooth all around every rev. The tripod is beefy and needs to be, this thing is heavy. Make sure you lock down the extender legs tight. I almost lost it all to a leg slipping the first night. A complaint I do have is with the hand controller. The display intensity controls don't seem to do anything. There are two variable each 0-8, all settings seem the same to me, and all are too dim. With the current bright moon I can see most of what's shown but when the moon goes I'm gonna need a flashlight.

#20 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

• Loc: CO. Aurora, USA

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:29 PM

I haven't had a chance to get mine out but I did a test in my house. It seems pretty solid, my mount came with the screw in type power connector, which I think is a good thing.
Dan

#21 jbury

jbury

Vendor - ObserverPro

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:29 AM

I'm really happy with mine. This is the first mount that I've owned that's really capable of long-exposure prime-focus astrophotography. Here's a picture of my setup. My first photos taken with the mount can be found here, here, and here. The azimuth and altitude adjustments on the mount make it much easier to dial in on good polar alignment (especially when used with the 'All Star' polar alignment routine).

Josh

#22 aljo

aljo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, Europe

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

How much does the GPS module cost?

#23 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

I'll keep watching here for the part numbers on those screw on connectors.

Sorry, I ended up rigging myself a 12V power supply to run dew heaters, etc. and thus switched to the 12V cord from Celestron. Never got around to ordering the connector from Mouser Electronics, but I believe it's this 5.5 OD/2.0 ID part. However, I never got a chance to go to Radio Shack and double-check the ID (they also have a 2.1 mm ID), so I'd recommend that before ordering one.

My focuser has a 'tight' spot in it. It doesn't affect performance but it ought to be smooth all around every rev.

Of course a focuser isn't part of the mount... I'm assuming you bought a CGEM system. Which OTA?

A complaint I do have is with the hand controller. The display intensity controls don't seem to do anything. There are two variable each 0-8, all settings seem the same to me, and all are too dim. With the current bright moon I can see most of what's shown but when the moon goes I'm gonna need a flashlight.

This doesn't sound right at all. Granted I haven't adjusted my CGEM HC brightness, but I have on my 8SE, and the CGEM HC is at default full brightness. It sounds like the backlight on your HC isn't working correctly.

Beo

#24 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:29 AM

I'll keep watching here for the part numbers on those screw on connectors.

Sorry, I ended up rigging myself a 12V power supply to run dew heaters, etc. and thus switched to the 12V cord from Celestron. Never got around to ordering the connector from Mouser Electronics, but I believe it's this 5.5 OD/2.0 ID part. However, I never got a chance to go to Radio Shack and double-check the ID (they also have a 2.1 mm ID), so I'd recommend that before ordering one.

After securing the flopping cable I don't think I'd bother to open the connection plate. If I get inside there for any other reason I'll probably replace the poewr connector.

My focuser has a 'tight' spot in it. It doesn't affect performance but it ought to be smooth all around every rev.

Of course a focuser isn't part of the mount... I'm assuming you bought a CGEM system. Which OTA?

9.25 OTA. Turns out the tight spot was fixed by either adjusting the 3 screws or moving back the rubber handle/adjuster. Probably adjusting the 3 screws. It's now smooth.

A complaint I do have is with the hand controller. The display intensity controls don't seem to do anything. There are two variable each 0-8, all settings seem the same to me, and all are too dim. With the current bright moon I can see most of what's shown but when the moon goes I'm gonna need a flashlight.

This doesn't sound right at all. Granted I haven't adjusted my CGEM HC brightness, but I have on my 8SE, and the CGEM HC is at default full brightness. It sounds like the backlight on your HC isn't working correctly.

Hmmm, that I'll have to look into, thanks for your input,

Al

Beo

#25 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

Al:

The connector would be a replacement for the end of your power supply cable, not one that would go in/on your mount. It provides the same retention collar that the 12V lighter adapter that came with the CGEM has. You'd have to chop off the connector on the end of your power supply and solder this one on. The only thing I was recommending there was to take your current adapter to RadioShack and double check which size the center pin is by plugging it into the various sockets they sell. I did that back when I had to replace the damaged connector on my power supply after having a cord wrap problem on my 8SE, but I don't remember what it ended up being.

Glad to hear you resolved your focuser issue. Good luck with the HC!

Beo

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics