Photo

Apr09 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Apr09 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Sketch goes to the Finals?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:15 PM

We are very pleased and proud to present the April 2009 Sketching Semi-Finalists in the Imaging/Sketching Contest.

darkstar528:

Posted Image

A plethora Of Prominences

Crayola Cerulean pencil for plage
Crayola Aqua Green pencil for proms
White Conti pastel for filaments
white 20# paper with Aqua Green disk
I scan into photoshop and invert.

Jeff Young:

Posted Image

I was hoping to post a sketch of a Tethys shadow transit, but either the seeing or my eyes weren't up to the task. So here's one from a bit earlier with a few moons but no transits.

HB pencil on white cartridge paper. Scanned and inverted in Photoshop.
16" f/10 Mak-Cass, binoviewer w/1.45X OCS, 18mm ortho eyepieces.
Sketched from County Louth, Ireland, 17 March 2009.

markseibold:

Posted Image

I observed the moon with the public on ISAN April 4 and 5 2009 with use of a Nexstar 5i. I returned home for solitary observation through my 10.1" Newtonian; 32mm Plossl and 9.7mm Super Plossl eyepieces with medium ~ good seeing conditions; light breeze at 51 degrees F, from 6 UT ~ 8 UT April 5 to produce this large 22" X 30" multiple pastel impression on black Stonehenge paper with various off-white, blue and grey dry pastel chalks. Several areas of the terminator and surface areas were rendered in detail with medium high magnification at 180X; finally adding the artists conception from the surface of the moon at bottom. -Mark

starquake:

Posted Image

Also known as: Arp 206
Right ascension: 10h 53m Declination: 36° 37'
Constellation: Leo Minor
Date/time: 2009.04.24 20:30 UT
Equipment: 12" f/5 Newtonian
FoV: 28' Magnification and filter(s): 100x
Seeing: 4/10 Transparency: 2/5

The galaxy is also in Arp's catalogue with number 206 has an interesting bent shape thanks to the nearby interactive galaxy of PGC 32617. Its brightness is defined between 11 and 13.6m according to various sources, I estimate it somewhere closer to 10 magnitudes. Three foreground stars make the view more spectacular.

Sketching media: plain paper and HB pencil.

Please note that voting will conclude on May 8th at Midnight EST.

Many thanks to all who took part in the contest!

#2 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

Please join me in congratulating Sketching Forum's Finalist - markseibold:

Posted Image

I observed the moon with the public on ISAN April 4 and 5 2009 with use of a Nexstar 5i. I returned home for solitary observation through my 10.1" Newtonian; 32mm Plossl and 9.7mm Super Plossl eyepieces with medium ~ good seeing conditions; light breeze at 51 degrees F, from 6 UT ~ 8 UT April 5 to produce this large 22" X 30" multiple pastel impression on black Stonehenge paper with various off-white, blue and grey dry pastel chalks. Several areas of the terminator and surface areas were rendered in detail with medium high magnification at 180X; finally adding the artists conception from the surface of the moon at bottom. -Mark

Best of luck in the finals!

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

Mark,

Congratulations to you on a fine collage of winning lunar sketches.Good luck to you in the next round.

Frank :)

#4 starquake

starquake

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nádasdladány

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:54 PM

Congrats Mark, and good luck! Beautiful sketch you've had, like always!

And thanks for the two votes (I was a bit worried if I'll get any votes at all :D).

#5 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:07 PM

Thanks Frank and Ferenc

Yes, I am baffled by the voting here sometimes. I seem to remember a few months ago that several hundred logged in and participated in voting one month as compared to only 19 voters this month?

I only wished that I could get a better image from my camera in photographing the art sometimes. The subtleties in this work are delicate and do no really show up here on the screen. :question: :tonofbricks:

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics