Photo

Transporting ASGT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 jake47

jake47

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:04 PM

I want to find a carry case for my ASGT mount and tripod. I've seen a few threads that discuss leaving the mount on the tripod and packing the whole thing in a padded bag like the ones used for lighting gear or sports equipment.

I had been thinking of getting a padded bag for the tripod and some kind of case for the mount. My question is whether the head would be damaged if left on the tripod for storage and transport.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 piaras

piaras

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

I alway seperate the head from the tripod. Make it lighter to pickup thus reducing the chance of dropping or other damage.

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

Leaving it attached and in the padded case works for me. Of course you can't be throwing it around or slamming it into walls but it easilly withstand normal handling. See this case thread.

#4 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:12 AM

I jumped on the case deal in the above thread. I leave the heads attached to my two CG-5s and it's like the cases were made just for this.

-Wade

#5 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

I want to find a carry case for my ASGT mount and tripod. I've seen a few threads that discuss leaving the mount on the tripod and packing the whole thing in a padded bag like the ones used for lighting gear or sports equipment.

I had been thinking of getting a padded bag for the tripod and some kind of case for the mount. My question is whether the head would be damaged if left on the tripod for storage and transport.

Thanks for any advice.

I use an Orion bag that I've had for a while, that I originally bought to hold a refractor and tripod:

48.5"x9.5"x10.5" Orion Padded Telescope Case #15146

I can keep the mount attached to the tripod for quick set-up. There is a divider that runs lengthwise down the case. I remove the counterweight bar from the mount and I put the CW bar with the CW attached on the other side of the divider (on the end that is opposite the mount), I also remove the spreader/accessory tray, wrap it in a towel, and put it on the other side of divider pretty much in the center. Works fine and cost something like $63. Very well padded and durable. No damage or scratches so far but I'm pretty careful carrying it around. I certainly wouldn't ship it or check it as baggage in this case, but it allows me to carry the mount, tripod, and CW in one bag.

Orion suggests this bag for their "Skyview Pro mount and tripod (similar to the Celestron CG5-AS):

56"x8"x10" Orion Padded Mount/Tripod Case #15175

It's longer and slightly narrower and doesn't have the divider. Based on the dimensions, it is probably a better fit for the mount with tripod attached and no optical tube. But I never used it so I can't comment on specifics. Cost is $73:

http://www.telescope...roduct_id=A0006

#6 NotThePainter

NotThePainter

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:19 PM

I found this hard shell case for $45ish at K-mart. Not only does it fit the tripod and had, it also fits the pier!

See http://notthepainter...ting-equipment/

Note carefully, this case is cheaply made, this is for car transport only. I also have an extra if anyone is in the market and local to eastern Mass.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics