CGEM Ready To Travel!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:25 PM

While I've only had a couple of nights worth of use of my CGEM since it's arrived (constant clouds here in Central Texas), I've made some pretty good progress getting my CGEM ready to travel for the next time I can make it to a dark sky site. Attached below is a photo of my packaging setup. I've form-fit cut some foam into the bottom of one of my two 50 gallon Stanley toolboxes with the mount folded over as indicated in my original CGEM Dimensions and Packaging Guide. There's still plenty of roomm on the side and over top to put most of the rest of my cases and the ADM SBS mount. Back when I originally ordered my CGEM, I also bought a cheapy golf club case from Wally World that someone here had pointed out. While the latches are total junk, it's just the right size to hold both 17 lb counterweights and the tripod. I glued the packing foam from the counterweights into the bottom with foam rubber around it to space it out properly. I then put foam spacers for the tripod above the counterweights. As long as I put the counterweights in with knobs down, the lid closes over it just fine, holding everything in nice and tight. I probably could have put a second tripod in there if I really wanted to (like my NexStar tripod), but don't really need to. All in all, I'm quite pleased with the results. I'll also post the pic of my new OTA case arrangement, now that I don't need to store the NexStar mount.

Beo

Attached Files

#2 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

Here're the OTAs. There's just enough room here to put my camera equipment, etc. and the two trays of accessories on top. Note the recess below the ST-80 for the laser!

Beo

Attached Files

#3 Greg K.

Greg K.

• Administrators
  • Loc: Clifton Park, NY

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

Wow, that's awesome.

#4 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:31 AM

Very nice indeed...and cheap too! I likey.

#5 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

• Loc: CO. Aurora, USA

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

Very nice Beo. So where did you get the boxes and foam? How much did it cost? I would like to do this.
Dan

#6 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

The boxes are sold at Home Depot. The foam was a lucky side effect of our company's 5S effort (Sort, Straighten, uh throw Sh-tuff out, uh... actually I think most have gotten stuck on that middle S! :lol:). I happened to stop by one weekend after an early effort and we had a couple of semi-sized dumpsters full of stuff including tons of packing foam for some discontinued products. I could have filled my garage, but as it was, I filled most of the back of the pickup! It takes some hacking and gluing to fill in the gaps, but they've turned out pretty good.

Beo

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics