Photo

Lunar sketches needed for new book

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:29 AM

Folks,

As the subject line says, I am in search of sketches of specific features on the lunar surface to use in a new book entitled "Cosmic Challenge" that I am currently writing for Cambridge U Press. I am not a terrible deep-sky sketcher, but drawing blurry smudges can't be compared to the exacting detail needed for a lunar sketch. But still, I would *much* prefer using high quality sketches in this book than photos, since it is an observing guide.

Therefore, I am turning to you. I am including quite a long list of targets below that I am in need of. Take a look and drop me an e-mail (phil at philharrington dot net) and let me know what you may have. My needs are for JPGs no less than 300 dpi, so we are talking about fairly large files here. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME THE FILES JUST YET. Instead, tell me what you have and, preferably, a web site/gallery where I might see lower resolution versions of a representative sampling.

Sadly, I have no budget for payment, but I can promise an autographed copy of the book once it is out (late 2010/early 2011?).

Here's the list, and thanks in advance!
• Alpine Valley rille
• Armstrong, Aldrin & Collins (near Apollo 11 landing site)
• Bailly
• Clavius craterlets
• Hesiodus A
• Hortensius dome field
• Lambert R
• Lunar X and Lunar V
• Mare Marginis, Mare Smythii
• Mare Orientale
• Mare Tranquilitatis (low power view of full plain)
• Messier/Messier A
• Mons Hadley and Rima Hadley
• Plato's craterlets
• Rupes Recta, Birt, and Rima Birt
• Schröter's Valley
• Serpentine Ridge (Dorsae Lister & Smirnov)

#2 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:53 AM

Thanks great opportunity for some of our very talented sketch artist at CN.

#3 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

Phil

Thanks for the generous opportunity to help you with this. Although my works are really quite a range from technical to impressionistic to almost abstract at times, I would be willing to help contribute. Now that you mention this, I may turn to more exacting technical work of the moon to offer you soon.

Feel free to browse my sketch gallery. (Note: my works show much more detail in large file format files- Reduced sizes here in CN are rough small photo copies of the art.) I imagine that an artists conception as seen from the surface could also possibly enhance your book. *Such as the current collage of lunar images that I submitted to the May sketch contest.

best regards,

Mark

My CN Sketch Gallery

www.markseibold.com

Equipment used:
10.1" f/4.5 Coulter Newtonian (1987)
Nexstar 5i Cassegrain
40mm Solar Max
8 X 50 Orion BAK4 Binoculars
Various Super Plossl, Orthoscopic eyepieces

#4 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:49 AM

Dear Phil,

I sketch the moon regulary. Most of my work can be found at my webpage. It is in german, but easy to navigate and understand without knowledge of this language.

If you find something you are interested in, plead write me an e-mail.

#5 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:53 AM

Hi Phil,

I've got a few sketches of the targets on your list. Take a look at my gallery.

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

Hi Phil,

I am an average lunar sketcher but I do have two sketches from your list. One is a graphite sketch of Rupes Recta, Birt and Rima Birt I drew August 16, 2006; the other is Clavius and Blancanus in white Conte' on black paper drawn in September of 2007. Both are in my gallery.

Frank :)

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

Phil,

I will go through my lunar observations and see what which features I have available for you. I am certain that your new book will be as excellent as your previous ones.

Carlos

#8 PhilH

PhilH

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:19 AM

Hi everyone.

Thank you very much for the replies and your interest. I've looked through your galleries and think a couple of the sketches will work well in the book. What I'll do is compile a list of those drawings and contact the artists by PM.

Meanwhile, there are still *many* targets on my list that are in need of illustrations. So, please keep it in mind as you set out to sketch the Moon during the upcoming warm months. And please feel free to pass this along to anyone else who you think might have something I could use.

Thanks again!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics