• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elbee

elbee

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

yes, in 1990 the televue gibralter mount offered a GEM head option. i have one of these with a RA axis motor drive (i'll post pics if you're skeptical :-) i want to try autoguiding for astrophotography. i dont mind spending a few hundred to get started (vs. drop down 1500 for a G-8, etc). i am trying to figure out what motor drive set i can attach to manual control shafts of the head that can be controlled by an autoguider. it appears the celestron DA motor drives for the CG-4 mount might work, but how do i control guiding from a computer instead of the hand control. can something like orion starshoot autoguider control the DA motor drives from celestron? the autoguiders i look at seem to have a single control wire whereas don't i need separate RA/DEC control signals if i have separate drive motors for each axis?

i can polar align the genesis such that i can take unguided prime focus photos with my DSLR for 30-60 sec. i have not been able to get the hang of manual off axis guiding, but looking to try to autoguide via the off axis guider

your input appreciated on a motor drive set and autoguider control that can work with this setup. thanks

lee

#2 iriise

iriise

Sputnik

• Loc: Monterey County,Ca.

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:03 AM

Have a look at this page on the Shoestring Astronomy site.
http://www.store.sho...products_gp.htm
Scroll down to the handcontroller modification section.
Good luck,

#3 elbee

elbee

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

thank you. that page is very interesting and potentially useful but i still need to find a motor drive set i believe will work with my mount. the more i look at the celestron DA motor drives, the less i believe they will work...i'll keep checking.. thanks

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics