CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

how to add autoguiding to old televue GEM

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 elbee

elbee

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

yes, in 1990 the televue gibralter mount offered a GEM head option. i have one of these with a RA axis motor drive (i'll post pics if you're skeptical :-) i want to try autoguiding for astrophotography. i dont mind spending a few hundred to get started (vs. drop down 1500 for a G-8, etc). i am trying to figure out what motor drive set i can attach to manual control shafts of the head that can be controlled by an autoguider. it appears the celestron DA motor drives for the CG-4 mount might work, but how do i control guiding from a computer instead of the hand control. can something like orion starshoot autoguider control the DA motor drives from celestron? the autoguiders i look at seem to have a single control wire whereas don't i need separate RA/DEC control signals if i have separate drive motors for each axis?

i can polar align the genesis such that i can take unguided prime focus photos with my DSLR for 30-60 sec. i have not been able to get the hang of manual off axis guiding, but looking to try to autoguide via the off axis guider

your input appreciated on a motor drive set and autoguider control that can work with this setup. thanks

lee

#2 iriise

iriise

Sputnik

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:03 AM

Have a look at this page on the Shoestring Astronomy site.
http://www.store.sho...products_gp.htm
Scroll down to the handcontroller modification section.
Good luck,

#3 elbee

elbee

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

thank you. that page is very interesting and potentially useful but i still need to find a motor drive set i believe will work with my mount. the more i look at the celestron DA motor drives, the less i believe they will work...i'll keep checking.. thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics